Baclofen Dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Dosage

I tried Baclofen a few years ago, and it did nothing for my spasticity. I have started taking it again, thinking maybe the dosage was too low before. My neuro has started me at 5 mg, 3 times a day. Can somebody tell me what dosage of Baclofen works for them? And if oral Baclofen is not effective, is the Baclofen pump helpful at all?

I just started oral baclofen at 10 mg a day. That eventually ended up with 80 mg a day, then I got a baclofen pump. one of these side effects of oral baclofen is tiredness, but you need an amount of 60 to 80 mg to reach that ( according to my doctor). Now that I am on the baclofen pump, I no longer have that side effect ( or any side effect). I would say since you are only 10 mg a day, to stay on the oral until you develop undesirable side effects, then maybe think about a pump. Good luck to you!
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

That seems like a pretty low dose. I think I started at 10 mg 3 x a day. It can make you sleepy as Hunterd said. If you're not getting relief at that dose, call your neuro and let him know.

I had been on Zanaflex for many years and then it quit working for me, so I switched to Baclofen. As my spasticity worsened, the dosage was increased. When 80 mg a day did not have any affect on my spasticity, then my neuro
      suggested the pump.

It took me awhile to get my head around the idea of the pump...and my pump experience has hit a few bumps, but it does control my spasticity in my legs and keeps me mobile. I still have some spasticity in my legs, you need a certain amount of spasticity to walk, especially if your legs are weak.

I still take an oral dose, not for my legs, but for upper body spasticity. The pump only controls spasticity from the level of the catheter. In other words, my catheter is at T9 and any spasticity below that level it helps, but for upper body and facial spasticity, it has no effect.

Hope you find a dose that works for you.

Comment

Baclofen

Thank you, Hunter and RDMC. I'll give my neuro a call about maybe increasing my Baclofen dosage. The idea of a Baclofen pump scares me. How big is the pump, and where on the body does it go? Is it painful to use? (Sorry, I am such pathetic scaredycat.)

Comment

Tegretol instead of Baclofen

gellexi: I've been on Baclofen for 12 years, augmented with Valium for my spasticity. My old nero also suggested the pump. My new nero suggested Tegretol XR 100mg SA Tabs (for Carbamazepine XL) to replace the Baclofen. I've been taking it for over a month now and my spasticity has almost completely gone away! Note...I do not have pain, just spasticity on my entire left side. (I could've knocked somebody out it was so touchy!) I hope you found something that works for you!

Comment

Baclofen

I had to discontinue the Baclofen because I started getting vertigo. The vertigo went away once I stopped taking the Baclofen. But I'm glad you mentioned Tegretol. It's one medication I haven't tried. I'll run that by my neuro. I was hoping to try Botox injections for my spasticity, but he said he doesn't know anyone who treats spasticity with Botox so couldn't help me there.

Comment

I take the baclofen 10mg 3 x a day and it helps but does cause sedation. I enrolled in a phase 3 clinical trial for a med called Arbaclofen an isomer of baclofen supposedly with less side effects. I had all the prliminary work up done and go back 7-26-13 to hopefully start the med.

Comment

Working...
              X