Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screwed up my pain meds and now pain clinic is making me pay for it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up my pain meds and now pain clinic is making me pay for it!

Have to start out by saying all of this mess with my pain clinic I brought on myself. Here is the deal . The pain people were trying to get me used to a long acting pain med ( OxyContin 20 mg every 12 hrs) . And I was given oxycodone 10mg three times a day for breakthrough pain . The first two weeks i did ok, but I told my PA that I was having many breakthroughs/pain that increased towards the second week , leading up to see her. So rather than increasing the long acting med, she increases the oxycodone (short acting version).

Next appt a month later I went in to see her (and had also asked to see the doctor......that is the only way you see a doctor....you have to ask) but this time I disclosed that I had run out of the short acting med due to bad real throughs. Well pretty much all hell broke loose . PA tells me that in the contract I signed, it was stated that if I run through early the med will not be ordered again.

Then here comes the doctor. I told him that I ran through my short acting meds due to too many break through pain episodes. He starts on this kick " well then, should we just order medication every time you run out, is that how it should be?" I answered no, but if I was getting used to a new med, I think that is why I took too many of them. He pipes in, " no I believe you misused them. I believe you're an abuser". Of course that brought me too tears. I tried asking him what was I supposed to do when I was in so much pain. He really didn't have an answer.

I finally got so frustrated and I'm a mess with crying I said " ok forget it, I won't have any short acting but now what do I do". Doctor says to raise the long acting to three times a day, and he walks out! The PA is still there. I just say fine. She writes out the script and away I go.

So how many of my friends have had run ins like this with their pain clinics? Another note.....this pain clinic deals with primarily back injuries, workmens comp claims , and disability evals for back injuries

Oh and I can't forget this one.......in the midst of my bluberling, the PA says, " I can't get you on a baclofen pump"! Really? Really? I just looked up at her and said " if my tremors were that bad, that might work, but they are not used for pain"

So that is my story. The one good thing is that by increasing the long acting med, my breakthroughs have been much better. It I still have them.

And making a patient endure pain when you have something to help, is just downright cruel. She told me to take some ibuprofen for the pain. At that point I'd had it with her and said "if I could take ibuprofen for pain I wouldn't be sitting in this chair looking at you!" that is why I'm on opioids ! NSAIDs make me sick even when taking after eating something

What a freaking mess. And oh happy happy joy joy I go to see her (PA) this Monday . Can't wait!!

Thanks for listening.....I know I made my paragraphs to bing so im going to try to fix it. Hope I don't screw this up.

Again thank you for reading. I always feels good to know you're not alone with this illness.........ilsa

What a mess. My PCP asked if I wanted to enroll in the pain management program and the very first interview, they made me feel like I was trying to "get over" on them just to get some pills. I made it clear that I was not trying to get meds and was only taking enough Vicodin at night to allow sleep.

The experience was so frustrating that I told my doc I wasn't going to talk with those folks. As I have not asked for any more pills, I only take 1 or 2 a day, my doc has not asked me again and he allows my Rx to be refilled.

And to think some folks say there is no pain from MS...There is physical pain and then there is the pain of having to deal with frustrating situations like pain clinics!

Comment

Working...
    X