My doctors can't agree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My doctors can't agree

My allergist who is an immunologist wants me on IVIG infusions because of multiple sinus infections that don't clear up!

My neurologist says they made my immune system week on purpose.

I am not sure what to do. Looking for advice.

Your post is very short and there is not much info. I can tell you that, here in Philly, there is a neurologist who uses IVIG, a lot, to treat some MS patients. I don't know what that means for sinus infections. If your doctors have conflicting ideas, I would start looking for second and third opinions. Good luck

Comment

It sounds like your in that zone of trade off that people with autoimmune diseases have. Immunosupprssant medicines can prevent the body from attacking itself but they can also prevent the body from attacking bacteria and viruses too. That's why people on immunosuppressant drugs are prone to getting infections.

So depending on what medicine your taking for MS your neurologist is right - your immune system is being suppressed on purpose to try to stop your body from attacking its own central nervous system. But it sounds like your also having infections because of it. If you keep your immune system suppressed then you have to keep treating the infections and hope you don't get one like PML that you can't treat.

Is your neurologist just not surprised that your having use infections or did he specifically say that you shouldn't have IVIG? Does he think that IVIG will interfere with your immunosuppression? Sometimes IVIG is used as a treatment for MS so I don't understand why your neuro would be against it. I don't think you can know what to do until you find out from your neurologist why he wouldn't want you to use IVIG.

Comment

My neuro said that he wanted to see the actual labs to make sure my immune system was compromised enough to need IVIG. My allergy doctor says I have some sort of generalized immune deficientsy he says its not terrible but that I should go on the IVIG asap. I have to go on cipro for 20 days at a time to clear up these stupid infections and they only stay gone a few weeks! It is driving me crazy so I think if my insurance will pay for the IVIG Im gonna give it a try.

I am on Copaxone by the way.

Comment

Well I can see why your not sure what to do because something doesn't sound right here.

Your neuro said that your immune system is being made weak on purpose but your only taking Copaxone. Copaxone doesn't suppress the immune system so I don't understand why he said that. One of the reasons Copaxone is so popular is because it doesn't mess with the immune system the way other DMD's do.

So if your immune system is low I think it probably isn't because of the Copaxone. So I really don't understand why your neuro would say that Copaxone has made your immune system weak. I can see how there might be something else about Copaxone that's bothering your immune system in a way that's making you get the sinus infections like maybe changing your body chemistry but it isn't because Copaxone makes immune systems weak.

It sounds like your allergist knows more about immunology than your neurologist does! Since IVIG is sometimes used to treat MS I agree that its worth trying. If I were in your situation that's what I would do too. I hope it helps you.

Comment

MSer102 you are correct my allergist is an immunologist. I need to correct one thing it is my neuro's nurse that says they made it low.

My allergy doctor says i have generalized immune deficiency or something like that.

Comment

I don't smoke at all and only drink occasionally so that is not the problem.

Comment

Lisa I don't think you need to be concerned with that last post. It looks like forum spam.

Comment

Working...
                X