Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Oral drugs as prevention of full-blown MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Oral drugs as prevention of full-blown MS?

I read this article on MedPage today, and it sounds like an interesting hypothesis that deserves further study. With the new oral drugs, perhaps giving them to pre-MS individuals could prevent full-blown MS from developing. Of course, convincing insurance companies to PAY for such a use could be challenging at $55,000 a year!

"Patients diagnosed with clinically isolated syndrome after experiencing a first multiple sclerosis-like attack were significantly less likely to have a second -- conferring a definite MS diagnosis -- after receiving the oral drug teriflunomide (Aubagio), its manufacturer said.

Conversion rates were reduced by 37% with teriflunomide doses of 7 mg/day and by 43% with 14 mg/day compared with placebo during a 2-year phase III trial called TOPIC, according to Genzyme.

Mean actual duration of treatment in the study was 16 months. Discontinuation rates reported by the company were similar in all three study arms, ranging from 8% to 12%.

Other quantitative data were not released. Genzyme said adverse events were similar to those seen in other teriflunomide studies, including elevations in alanine aminotransferase, nasopharyngitis, headache, hair thinning, diarrhea, and paresthesia.

Full study results will be submitted for presentation at a scientific meeting later this year, the company said.

In addition to conversion to clinically definite MS, the study's primary endpoint, outcome measures included progression of MS-like lesions in MRI scans, annualized relapse rate, volume of abnormal brain tissue, and scores on clinical measures of disability and fatigue."

I read on Medscape that the manufacturer is going to apply to the FDA to have Aubagio approved as a treatment for CIS.

Comment

I have not done prophylactic anti-biotic because I am hypersensitive to most of the "normal" medication they use. Are they able to run a lifestyle when you have a UTI so they create sure the appropriate anti-biotic is being recommended.....

Comment

Working...
      X