Prophylactic Antibiotic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prophylactic Antibiotic?

If any of you take a daily prophylactic antibiotic for recurrent Urinary Tract Infection, which antibiotic do you take?

I've been taking a daily, low dose antibiotic since the end of January and was just diagnosed with my second UTI while on the daily antibiotic. Just wondering what other people might be taking.

Hello Canary,

I take the genetic of microbid which is called desmopressin.

I have been having 1 UTI ea. year since I started taking it. It has really helped me.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

UTI's are a common ailment for people with MS, because the bladder is affected by weakening of the muscles and nerve problems , IMO.
      I have had several UTI's since my diagnosis. I started doing the antibiotic route because that was the PCP's solution. I then looked on-line and found information that said to eat less meat protein. My naturopath suggested that I add D- mannose to my morning juice, daily. Between these 2 solutions, i have not had any trouble with UTI's in, at least, a year or two. Good luck

Comment

Hi Canary,

I have not done a prophylactic antibiotic -- yet. That option has been offered to be a couple of times and I am not ready to say yes. The medication offered has been Microbid.

I have dealt with UTIs since the age of 4 so UTIs can get real old for me. I think next time I start having chronic UTIs again will be the time I agree to a prophylactic antibiotic.

Your Doctor will have the best advice about which medication would work best as a prophylactic antibiotic for you.

Best wishes
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Sorry, I need to make a correction. The generic for
          Macrobid is nitrofurantoin. I take 100mg a day.

I
          God Bless Us All

Comment

I have been on nitrofurantoin 50 mg a day for about 4 yrs. and cranberry pills twice a day and so far so good.

Comment

Diagnosed while on a prophylactic antibiotic...that's got to be sooooo frustrating.

I had chronic UTIs for almost 9 months. I'd get off an antibiotic, and within a couple weeks, another would start up. I was scoped, and rescoped and had every test imaginable, but with no relief and with no cause found. I tried cathing, not cathing, had fulguration of my bladder, etc

Finally they seemed to have slowed down, I just went for 4 months without one.

I have no idea what stopped them or what combination of things helped to clear them up, so I keep up the regimen of D mannose, a probiotic, extra vitamin c throughout the day, methenamine hippurate, cranberry, and Flomax.

I have not done prophylactic antibiotic because I'm allergic to most of the "normal" drugs they use. Are they able to run a culture when you have a UTI so they make sure the proper antibiotic is being prescribed. That's another reason I don't do a prophylactic antibiotic, because the bugs I get are so varied and specific to certain antibiotics.

I have test strips at home, and sterile bottles, so I get a specimen to drop off at the urologist's before I start antibiotics. It's amazing how many different bugs can cause a UTI , and often I have to change antibiotics after the culture comes back.

It is one of the frustrating things about MS, and to add to the mayhem, when we get a UTI, our other symptoms can flare too.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

Are you taking a probiotic with the constant antibiotics? Antibiotics can kill the good bacteria in our bodies leading to a nasty, contagious Diahhrea infection called C-Diff.

Having C-Diff once is waaaay too many!

The probiotic will help preserve the good bacteria.
                Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
                Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Where do you buy the sterile collection bottles? Does this require a rx?

Comment

I have not done prophylactic anti-biotic because I am hypersensitive to most of the "normal" medication they use. Are they able to run a lifestyle when you have a UTI so they create sure the appropriate anti-biotic is being recommended.....

Comment

Working...
                    X