Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone gone off their antidepressants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone gone off their antidepressants?

Lots of encouragement at MSW and in the regular world to take antidepressants when you feel like your nearing the end of your rope, but not much info. regarding getting off the things. Anyone done it here?
    Tawanda

I had to be taken off my Cymbalta a few years ago (long story I will spare you). Before beginning a new AD (anti depressant), my doc wanted me off of any AD's for a period of 2 weeks. Oh my, was THAT ever hard. I lost all of my emotions (had what is called "flat affect"). It was just dismal. Be sure to talk with your prescribing doc, before attempting to go off of AD's. Some AD's you shouldn't just "quit", rather the doc has to wean you off of them (lower the dose and keep lowering, before stopping)
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Yes, I have.

I have not used an antidepressant for about 3 years, give or take.

I started using ADs in 1993 and was unable to stay off of them any longer than a few months.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I tried to wean myself off of Pristiq; huge mistake. I was unbearable both to myself and to others.

The physical effects of withdrawal were awful..but I was not a pleasant person.

I would just as soon not try again.
        j
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I weaned off and didn't need them anymore. Your doctor can tell you how to wean of of whatever antidepressants you are using so you can minimize the fun effects of coming off of them.

Some people need them forever, some long term, some short term,but only you and your doctor can determine where you fall on that spectrum.

Comment

I WAS WEANED OFF MY ANTIDEPRESSANTS (AFTER PUTTING PRESSURE ON MY DOC..I THINK THEY'D LIKE YOU TO JUST STAY ON THEM INDEFINITELY). I HAVE NOT TAKEN THEM FOR 6 YEARS NOW...NEEDED THEM DESPERATELY WHEN I WAS PUT ON THEM...BUT NOT ANY MORE. I AM VERY AWARE OF THE FACT THAT MS (AS WELL AS SOME OF THE MEDS WE TAKE) CAN CAUSE DEPRESSION THOUGH SO MY FAMILY, FRIENDS AND MYSELF KEEP A GOOD WATCH OUT FOR ANY SYMPTOMS. IT'S NICE TO LAUGH AND CRY AND GET MAD..I FOUND I FELT FINE BUT HAD ABSOLUTELY NO AFFECT ON AD'S.

Comment

I just went off Celexa with ok of my general practitioner and neurologist. Weaned off over a period of 6 weeks. I went on Celexa a year ago when separating from my husband of 30 years. My neurologist recommended low dose when I was first diagnosed in 2008 but resisted it until 2012. I am crying more, and irritable, but working through it and hopeful I can regulate without anti-dep. But, am very open to going back on it if I cannot regulate emotions. My husband and I have reconciled and I am ready to move on from stress of past year!

Comment

I took myself off mine because they were making me slow and stupid. But be careful - what are your reasons? Sometimes depressed people take their meds, feel OK and then want to quit. They then stop, feel bad and start again (repeat as necessary). Make sure you're quitting for the right reasons. You can do it with the help of your doctor, but in any case, it should be done gradually.

Comment

I went into a deep depression for a few months in 2004, following a very difficult MS flare and some big losses and some inappropriate decisions by hospital staff. (Abuse was investigated by the state, and, although not confirmed, hospital policies were changed as a result of my negative experience.)

Anyways, to get on with answering the question, I was subsequently dx with "bipolar, secondary to MS" (dx has since been changed). My psychiatrist believed that I needed to be on anti-depressants for the rest of my life. However, after about 10 months on anti-depressants, I decided to take myself off. Psychiatrist was not at all supportive, and not very helpful in providing information that would assist me in going off safely.

But, I did not believe that the rest of my life on anti-depressants was in my best interests so I did a lot of online reading regarding how to safely taper, and I went off on my own. Nine years later, I have not had another depressive incident, and have no regrets about going off.

It is important, though, to taper off slowly, or it is likely the depression will return and there could be major ramifications. (I know someone who attempted suicide after going off anti-depressants suddenly, without a taper and without a doctor's supervision.)

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X