No announcement yet.

Want to share some success with pain management but this is not for everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to share some success with pain management but this is not for everyone

hi friends. Wanted to share a success that I seem to be having with a med change, for my pain control. A word of caution: this med will not be appropriate for everyone, but for those that might tolerate, here goes. I have been on one form or another of short acting narcotics since 2005. From Percocet , to Vicodin , to oxycodone , to methadone ( yes, methadone is also used for pain)

About a week ago my pain management PA wanted to switch to OxyContin . Of course just the name " OxyContin " scares me, mainly because of the press that the drug gets and also how many people (mainly famous) have we heard of that have abused the drug or died from an OD.

So decided to give it a try. My PA also gave me oxycodone 10 mg, up to three a day, in case I had break through pain. OxyContin is one of those drugs were you need to build up a therepuetic blood level, in order for it to do its job successfully, so to begin with, there may be break through ( but after the first two days, not bad)

I have to tell you, for the first time, since 2005, I am finally managing my pain! Makes me tearful, with the success I've had. My experience is that there is no longer that "loggy" feeling you can get, from the immediate release tabs ( like oxycodone), I am far more active, more positive, far far less pain to deal with.....now about a 4-5/10 on the scale (which has slowly been dropping ( there were days before this new plan, where my pain level would get to 9.5/10, or just short of going to ER!!

So the issue with OxyContin (as I understand it) is that the patient must be extremely compliant, have no history of abusing narcotics, and be physically ok to take the med (can slow down breathing).

I know narcotics can conjure up bad feelings for many and it certainly is NOT the drug for everyone. But if you fit the profile as being a patient who is compliant and understands the potential dangers of the drug, it might just be the one to help with your pain.

I wish I could take NSAIDS but all of them aggregate my guts so they don't help me and, in fact, add the extra problem of gastro problems.

Just wanted to share. Hope all are pushing themselves (if appropriate) to have a good and productive day)

Sending much love and peace.....your friend, ilsa from Racine wi

so true

I have experienced the same thing, kind of.

My pain management doctor chose the Butrans patch. It is a little less potent then oxycontin and fentynal patch. And less side effects in my opinion. The patch only needed changed every week.

I had to use Ultram, for breakthrough pain, but rarely.

I am fortunate that I have been able to wean myself off of these medication after a surgery corrected some of my joint pain. I have lyrica and cymbalta for nerve pain.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

A pain management doctor also helped me after both GP and neurologists were unable to stop the pain. After the pain cycle was broken then other therapies were more effective.

I currently do/have PT, massage, heat, cold, electrical stimulation (TENS), acupuncture, spasticity medications and 2 pain medications. Next month, we are going to discuss reducing the amount of pain medication I am taking.

Comment

If not for oxycontin I would be unable to work or function. I have nerve damage and have had three surgeries on my spine to try to fix an area that collapsed.

I get epidural stolid injections which allow me to get off narcotics for a while but the OxyContin really made life live able again without crazy side effects.

Glad you have relief.

Comment

Working...
        X