Is anyone taking meds for depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My doctors over the years (both family and neuro) have tried to put me on meds for depression (even though I never said I was depressed). I had bad reactions to any of the ones I tried. And I was thinking of course I'm depressed, I have MS but taking a pill for depression won't change my having MS. Or make me suddenly be able to drive and walk and be able to get around and not be confused or alone. But now I'm thinking maybe I'll try something. Do any of them make a person just feel happy despite all the crappy stuff.

Originally posted by emily06 View Post
    Do any of them make a person just feel happy despite all the crappy stuff.
    Antidepressants are not "happy" pills. They allow those with depression to emotionally/psychologically feel "normal." Depression can negatively affect your life more than you realize and treatment can improve your general outlook for the better.

Antidepressants are not just used for depression but are often used "off label" for pain associated with MS.

I would suggest if you decide to try an antidepressant that you work with a Psychiatrist. They are the Doctors who have the most knowledge about depression and the different medications to treat it.

Depression can be very common in the MS community.

I do not.

I have dealt with depression/suicidal thoughts in the past and have used my fair share of antidepressants. That was quite a few years ago. My depression was not related, in any way, to MS.

Once the issues that caused my depression/suicidal thoughts was dealt with (therapy) I no longer had a problem with depression and have no need for antidepressants.

Regardless of why a person has depression the treatment is the same. Using an antidepressant in conjunction with Psychotherapy can be quite beneficial.

Best wishes!
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have been on an anti-depressant for most of my 4 years with this MonSter. I feel like I don't want to lie in bed all day .... just most of the day. I suggest that you get your vitamin D levels checked and 'normalize' them. Get them to aroung 70ng/ml. Then, see how you feel. Good luck

Comment

An antidepressant isn't going to make someone "happy". They are intended to correct an imbalance in a person's neurotransmitters. There are different types of antidepressants that work to increase some of these neurotransmitters. Theoretically, if you are perfectly "balanced" and not depressed they should do nothing for you. On the other hand, for a person with depression the drugs help make them more "normal" or what they should be.

I have been on Lexapro for a couple years. For me, I have trouble regulating my mood sometimes, like when I feel mad I want to yell and scream at people. That's not normal, so I take a drug to help me control it.

Drugs are only one way to deal with the feelings you are describing. Just because you have MS does not mean you also are depressed. It's how you deal with MS that can lead to depression. If you become so consumed with the negative things it's hard not to have depressing thoughts. I recommend you talk to a therapist or psychiatrist to see if you will really be helped with an antidepressant. Maybe you just need to learn new ways of dealing with or thinking about the things you are dealing with so you don't get pulled into depressing thoughts.

Don't believe that just because you have MS you are also depressed. This could lead you to take medication that isn't doing anything but may have some nasty side effects. See if you can find a therapist or someone to talk to through your local MS chapter that might have some ideas or tools to help you. You're right, no pill is going to make you feel better or be able to move around. But maybe someone can give you the tools to help you deal with where you are right now.

I wish you all the best!
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

My dr gave me a px back in april of 2012 for lexapro I took
          one on a friday evening and when
          i got up on sat. morning
          i felt funny so i did not take anymore.
          I was in the military
          for 6 yrs I and had always felt like i could handle anything
          but in the last few years
          i became more and more frustrated
          because i could not do the things i use to so when i went back to dr in sep. she had a long talk with me and i finally
          started taking med. it was a 10mg. dose after a few days
          i got used to it
          then she put me on 20mg. It does not make you happy
          but it mellowed me out I am not as angry or frustrated
          as before I still cuss a little when i get po. but it has really
          helped me .
          dr said if it did'nt help she was sending me psychiatrist
          for me it has been the biggest help of all the meds i
          take GOOD LUCK !
          it doesnt help me with typing either

( DX 07/2010 REBIF 11/2010 - 07/2016)
          (Copaxone 01/2017 to 03/2018)
          (Tecfidera 03/2018 to present )

Comment

I was prescribed Wellbutrin many years ago for premenstrual problems. I have taken this medication off and on for probably 20 years, yikes! It calms my anxiety, I tend to worry alot.

As far as I know, it is not used off label for nerve pain. I think Lyrica and Cymbalta are. My dad took something for nerve pain with shingles, I forget which med. It worked well for him though!

Comment

Working...
            X