Baclofen Pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Pump question

I'm thinking of getting a baclofen pump because I heard somewhere that they were more effective than in the past at improving the flexibility and usefulness of your arms. Is this true? I would appreciate anyone's experience with a baclofen pump in this area.

I cannot speak about upper body uses as mine is for my legs. I can tell you though that the improvement in my range of motion and flexibility is incredible!

The person most qualified to answer any questions you may have is your Dr.
    I love my pump, and cannot imagine life without it!
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I have a pump, but the catheter is at T-9, and it specifically was implanted to help my legs. I really wasn't aware they used an ITB pump to help arm spasticity, if so the catheter would have to be implanted higher in the spine.

I did notice a little relief in my left arm, but my physiatrist says it's probably from loosening up muscles in my back, and as a result of that, my arm/hand seems to work a little better.

The way it worked for me was my neuro recommended one, I saw a physiatrist (pump doctor) who oversees the test and management of the pump, and then getting the okay from a neuro surgeon who actually does the surgery.

If you're considering one, you need to get your neuro to refer you to see a pump doc and get the "test" which means they try out the med by giving you a test dose then observing you for a few hours, it's like a lumbar puncture, but they put med in instead of taking CSF fluid out.

As for my spasticity in my legs, the relief was more than I could have expected. I say it is the best decision I've made in my MS journey.

Comment

I have had my pump for 3 1/2 years.

The difference in the spastcity, pain, spasms, and flexibility in my legs has made an enormous difference.

In the past 1 1/2 years, I have started having increased tone and pain in my upper back, shoulders,and neck. This leads to trouble with my arms and hands.

My neuro and pump doctor both have said that some patients have seen improvement in those areas if the tubing is placed high enough.

I asked my neuro surgeon about it when I was having suspected trouble with my pump this past fall. He said that my tip was at T9 and he wasn't comfortable going higher than that when he places the tubing.

They did offer Botox injections for some relief.

I have yet to try those. I used to get them in my legs before my pump. But for now, I just use extra oral baclofen when I need it.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
        X