Ampyra & Recurrent UTI's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra & Recurrent UTI's?

Has anyone experienced recurrent UTI’s as a side effect of Ampyra? In the first 5 years of my diagnosis before starting Ampyra, I had probably 3 UTI’s. Since starting Ampyra about 1.5 years ago, I’ve had at least 12 UTI’s.

My neurologist says my PCP needs to help me deal with this issue. I’ve seen a urologist and implemented a carbonated beverage ban, which greatly improved my retention issue. The urologist said I need to decide if the benefits of the Ampyra outweigh the side affect of recurrent UTI’s. At this point, the benefit DOES outweigh the risk.

However, I’m wondering if anyone else had had this problem, and if their PCP might have put them on a daily maintenance dose of antibiotics? I see my PCP in a couple of weeks and want to make this request if it is reasonable. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

I was on Amprya for 18 months.... I had to stop after I had several seizures back to back. I was devistated about going off the drug. I would could tell when I missed a dose and swore by the drug.... but had UTI's ... now I am off the drug (since September 2012)... I feel better than I have in years, no UTI's and all the bladder issues are sooo much better.

Comment

Just a quick follow-up. I saw my PCP today and she agreed to let me try a daily low-dose antibiotic for 3-6 months to see if this helps me steer clear of UTIs.

She is concerned about antibiotic-resistant infections, as am I, but I'm on an antibiotic just about every month anyway, since I keep getting a UTI about every 4-6 weeks.

I tracked my history of UTIs, and the recurrent theme became an issue within 2 months of starting Ampyra....so I must be one of the lucky few who experiences this side effect.

Comment

If you haven't taken a probiotic; you may ask your doctor if this is a good idea for you.

My primary doctor suggested I take one to replace the good flora/bacteria that gets killed while taking antibiotics. I took one every other day for 4 months and it helped me immensely.

Comment

Have been on Ampyra for over 2 years. No UTI's at all.

Comment

I have had UTI's for 3 years now. Had them before I had any other symptoms. And I do not take Ampyra.

Comment

One of the ideas concerning getting UTI's is that too much meat protein in the diet plays a large part. I read this info and my doctor suggested using a powder called D-mannose in juice, daily. Using this along, with cutting back on meat in my diet, I believe, has helped me avoid recurring UTI's.
              I did have that problem for a year. I felt that staying on antibiotics every month would be problematic.

Comment

Ampyra & UTIS

I use Ampyra and have a frequency of utis. My urologist told me to take 4000 units of Vitamin C per day to keep an acidic environment in my bladder. The Vitamin C has made a difference in the frequency of infections.

Comment

Working...
                X