Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried Ayurvedic medicine for their MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried Ayurvedic medicine for their MS?

Hi,

I've been in a medication limbo for the last 3 years.
    Briefly, I can't take inteferon as my White Cell count bombs and I get very ill. This makes taking Gilenya not an option. I'm allergic to Tysabri and Copaxone doesn't help me.

I'm waiting for BG-12 next year while injecting Copaxone as there is nothing else that I can take, but in the meantime I've been researching Ayurvedic plants to try to control my relapses.

I'm very new to it so just wondered if anyone else has tried this?

Thanks
    Rach

I am being treated by a 'naturopath', MD, who uses all forms of medication, herbs, pharmaceuticals, etc. He doesn't prefer anything over another modality.
    I can tell you with certainty that his treatments have helped me as opposed to 'harmed me'. There has never been any chance of 'negative' side effects from any of the herbs, or supplements that he has treated me with. The only negative there is, his service and herbal supplements are not covered by my insurance. Cash only.
    If you aren't helped by 'conventional' methods and drugs, I would suggest finding an MD that is also an 'integrative' practitioner to consult. This isn't 'voodoo' medicine. It is becoming more 'main stream' every day. God luck

Comment

I don't know much about Ayurvedic medicine. However, I practice yoga and meditation and find them very helpful for MS.

Don't neglect vitamin D as one of the most potent disease modifiers.

Comment

Big Thank You!

Thanks JerryD and BigA for your replies.

I've been taking Vit D for some time now and injecting B-12 monthly and I think that they both help. I also take AlphaLipoicAcid, Fish Oil and antioxidants.

I totally agree that herbal medicine is not "Voodoo" medicine. After all, India and far east have done extremely well with it for all their medical needs over milennia! This is despite lacking much of the wealth of the West.

Unfortunatley, the UK is dinstictly lacking in Holistic approaches to illness. My GP is very good in that she views the body and mind having a direct influence on each other. My MS Team however tend to disregards everything except CRABS, Steroids and newer MS Treatments. They even don't believe LDN is any help and say that some people anecdotally feel it helps, but their MRI scans tell a different story.

Being a strong-minded gal, I'm going down the herbal route DIY with textbooks to guide me, I cant afford the prices that Naturapaths here charge.

I've already had a win! I was coming down with the usual Winter Cold and read that taking a herb called Andrographis was a strong anti-viral plant. My cold was gone in a day while the rest of the family suffered for a week (i dont mind trialling things myself, but NOT on my family!).

Powerful stuff and no side effects whatsoever. I've also started taking Trikala for my Asthma, and my chest is much more relaxed and clearer.

Comment

Why not take the middle route? Have you read about Dr. Swank? He did a clinical trial of a specific diet for 30 years with excellent results. The updated version, along with practices which mate eastern and western treatments together can be found here. I recommend the book first and then the website.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

I feel like a broken record, but it's really been helpful for me and I believe it's the best substantiated non-DMD (though you can do it and take your shots too) program out there.

Comment

BigA,
            You do NOT sound like a 'broken record'. You are a 'champion' for the OMS plan.
            All of my medical team ( and I see 4 different doctors ) know of all of my supplements and medications, etc. Only my 'naturopath' knows about LDN.
            I don't know a lot about Ayurveda ( Dr. Weil speaks and writes about it a lot ) but if you find that it works for you, go for it. Good luck

Comment

Thanks again for your comments JerryD and Big A. I am very scientifically and logically minded - my close friends and family call me Bones after Dr Temperance Brennan!
              When one looks at the geographic prevalence of MS, in addition to distance from the equator, one cannot ignore the distinct lack of MS in certain societies and ethnic groups. The swank diet and also that of Roger McDougall have both shown an immensely positive effect on MS by copying the dietary habits of the Low MS groups. No sat fat, high unsat fat, fruits vegeatables and everything prepared from scratch. No processed prepacked junk. I myself also have followed this path for many years - mainly based on coming from a farming family background where we always grow and tend our own food. Despite my disappointment in being intolerant and allergic to all current treatments, I am now in my 22nd year of MS but still work full time, can still run (out of relapse) and my permanent symptoms in remission are "nuisance value" but no more. My hands and feet are numb, my left eye has full acuity but loss of colour vision and contrast from repeated attacks of optic neuritis. I usually have to run my hand under a hot tap or stand up sit down -repeat et al - to urinate, my right leg is stiff and I cant hold my arms above my shoulders for more than 5 secs without them giving in and me having to rest for about a minute. I have "controlled" neuropathic pain in my neck and arms (controlled by Cymbalta, and Lyrica if it gets really bad). Fatigue is a constant issue but helped by Provigil. But had I been offered this scenario at diagnosis, told that after over 20 years this is all I would have to deal with between relapses, I would have snatched their hand off!! (sorry about the English vernacular but Im sure you get it! :-) ).
              Its so wonderful to find like minded people who are also prepared to change their diets, try any sensible alternative medicine and remain open-minded.
              So thank you, thank you, thank you :-)
              Love and all the very best to you both.

Comment

Working...
              X