New dx & Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New dx & Avonex

I was dx 10-5-12. Im on my 3rd wk of the titration w/ Avonex. I tried icing my thigh where I normally give my injection. It hurt! I give up! Im so emotional about this whole damn MS Idk Wat to do! I jus needed to vent.
    Dx: 10-5-12
    Began Avonex: 11-21-12

Are you having site reactions or just pain after? Normally it doesn't hurt, but I have had pain days later.

Things to try:

1) Ice beforehand. Take your ice pack and wash and dry it with a paper towel. Then sterilize the area, let it dry and then hold the ice pack on for 10 mins. The bags that come with the Avonex package are good for this. I found that if frozen flat, this gives the best surface.

2) Experiment with different areas. If you look at the drug insert, there is a map of locations where you can inject. There is the outer thigh as well as the shoulder. If you have someone to help you, you can inject in your butt/hip but you will need training from your nurse before you do this. Some of us inject in the arm due to pain issues in the leg. I think if you have tight IT bands or muscles, it can hurt. The other detail is to make sure your muscles are relaxed and also that you're getting into muscle and not fat.

3) If that fails, you'll be on the pen soon enough and that may make it quick and painless, so hang in there.

Comment

Hang in there! I was the same way, an emotional wreck. The injections were just this great big reminder.

Once I got on the pen, it was much easier!! Smaller needle, it's over so fast that even if it does hurt a little, it's over in a snap. I don't look forward to them or anything but it's fast & easy.

The rest is just time, you just get into a routine & it becomes normal. The emotions change. I've been taking the shots now for 7 months & when I stop & think about it, I can't believe it's been that long!
      Diagnosed: May 2012
      Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
      Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

It becomes easier. While right now, the idea of injecting yourself must seem to be the biggest surprise of your life, it becomes easier, particularly with the pen, since you don't actually do the "sticking the needle in" part. It looks more like something from Star Trek than a standard needle (especially the stock ones that come in the package).

You'll be fine, though it is definitely not easy.

Comment

Working...
        X