Baclofen Pump & Shooting/Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Pump & Shooting/Hunting

Does anyone know if shooting high-ish powered rifles (.30-06) is bad for the catheter in the spine?

I'm getting my pump tomorrow and was just wondering if this was my last season. (At least it was a successful season!)

Hi

I wish you the best with the pump. I would ask the dr & the medtronic rep before having the pump implanted.

In my case, I have had a pump since 1999. I am on my 3rd pump & still have the same catheter. I have fallen many times & I haven't had a problem with the catheter.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Yeah, I tallked to them, and they said it would be no problem once it's healed. The pump is well enough away from my shoulder and protected deceently. I guess, since your whole upper torso mostly moves together, the catheter is OK.

Comment

I have a pump (but I don't shoot guns.) Just wanted to say that in the latest Medtronics newsletter there was an article about them making a stronger (better) catheter.

Explain to your neurosurgeon what your activities are and that should help. You might also inquire about the new type of catheter. Here's a link that talks about it:
        http://www.medtronic.com/patients/ch...eter/index.htm

I did have problems with my catheter, it migrated out of my thecal sac and somehow worked it's way down into my abdomen, but leave it to me to have something weird happen. Anyway had the surgery redone and they got everything back in place. And since then (knock on wood) no problems.

There's a yahoo group called pumpsters, and although not everyone in the group has a ITB pump, they do have Medtronic pumps for one reason or another. The group is also a good source of info, although there are quite a few of us on this board that also have the pump.

After my second surgery, I was given some restrictions, but mostly they had to do with bending too far or twisting too far. But the pump is worth any inconvenience or restriction it has caused me...it really works great for spasticity. Those of us that have it often say it is the best decision we've made for our MS. I'm excited for anyone who's about to get a pump because it really does change your life.

Comment

Thanks for the info, RDMC. The pump is already in, but this is great information for folks with similar questions, and just good info in general.

Comment

Originally posted by manderson View Post
            Thanks for the info, RDMC. The pump is already in, but this is great information for folks with similar questions, and just good info in general.
            Great news...hope you have a speedy recovery! Interesting having incisions in two places isn't it (actually, I had three incisions each time I had the surgery...one on my side, not sure why.) And if they don't tell you, I think it's a good idea to wear the binder for awhile, helps the swelling go down quicker, at least that's my opinion.

Comment

Thanks! It's going pretty well so far. I've had tons of different surgeries (I think this is #17) so, I'm used to the healing process. The biggest PITA is finding a position that doesn't put some kind of pressure on one or the other incision.

Now, I just wish they'd turn the dang thing up! I guess it's on a very small dose just so my body gets used to it. I'm still on my oral baclofen. I can tell a tiny bit of difference in my legs already, though.

Comment

Hi Manderson

I wish you the best with the pump & the recovery. I am glad you will continue to keep hunting. I have been doing therapeutic horse back riding for 8 years. It has no effect on the catheter.

As far as changing the dose. When I first got the pump, it was a few months before we got to a dose that was working for me. The thing to remember is that when changing the dose it can only be done at a 10% rate. For example, my dose was at 25 mikagrams. Then the next time, we upped the dose to 27.5 mikgrams.

I will say I have been at the same dose for the last 10 years.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobOP View Post
                  As far as changing the dose. When I first got the pump, it was a few months before we got to a dose that was working for me. The thing to remember is that when changing the dose it can only be done at a 10% rate. For example, my dose was at 25 mikagrams. Then the next time, we upped the dose to 27.5 mikgrams.

I will say I have been at the same dose for the last 10 years.

Take Care, Bob
                  Wow Bob, I'm impressed. For some reason I was okay at the same dose for probably a year, but now I'm at a point that I'm having it upped every couple of months. Not sure what gives, physiatrists don't seem too alarmed (I had the dye test to make sure everything was in the right place.)

Comment

I have also fallen many times and it never affected the pump or the catheter. I also still hunt (and shoot a 30-06) with no problems. I have had my pump since 2006 and I never missed a season! Best of luck to you!
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi RDMC

I know it can be frustrating finding the right dose.For the first 3 years I had a pump, we were tweaking my dose depending on how I felt.

I have had the dye test done twice. Both times, I was able to be wide awake & watch the dye go through on the screen. It was pretty neat...LOL

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                        I have also fallen many times and it never affected the pump or the catheter. I also still hunt (and shoot a 30-06) with no problems. I have had my pump since 2006 and I never missed a season! Best of luck to you!
                        Thanks! Good to know someone has first-hand experience. I was lucky and harvested a 5x6 bull elk two days before the surgery. Good to know it won't be my last outing.

I'm going to try to swipe a programmer and do it myself.

Comment

Baclofen Pump Question

Dumb question, maybe....

Do you have to be in a wheelchair to get a Baclofen pump?

I am still mobile, hobble from here to there...

I go for a pump consultation in a couple of weeks. Another forum I was at, only had people in wheelchairs who are pump users.

Thank you

Comment

No, my friend has one and she's very mobile!

Sara

Comment

Welcome Lucille

Welcome to MS World. I hope your pump trial goes well.

I have had a pump since 1999. I am on my 3rd pump. I am as active as I want to be. I walk with a cane, still work, drive, etc. I do therapeutic horseback riding 2 days a week.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X