Gabapentin is making me feel drunk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin is making me feel drunk!

I took gabapentin for years, but stopped taking it about a year ago.

Recently, I've had a flare up of symptoms, one of which includes severe hand pain. At first it was just an aching kind of pain, but now it's evolved into shoot nerve pain that makes me want to just gnaw my own arm off!

I dug out the old prescription of gabapentin that I had left and have taken a couple of them (300 mg each) over the last two days. However, they are making me feel like I'm drunk. I'm very dizzy, my balance is gone, and I can hardly talk or think.

I don't remember ever having this reaction when I took this medication before. And back then, I was taking it four times a day. Is this normal with gabapentin? Or could it be because the pills are old? (They actually expired in 2010, but a friend who's uncle is a pharmacist told me that he said you can take out-dated meds for up to five years after the expiration date.) I don't think I'll take any more, though I really need them to help with the pain. I just don't know which is worse, the pain or the drunk feeling. (This is why I never drink. I hate feeling like I've lost control of my body and mind.)

Thanks,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

I tried it once and it made me terribly dizzy! After a week, I gave up. Maybe you should find an alternative or take less to begin with and increase as your body adjusts to it? Take care and hope you feel better soon!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Do you have any carbamazepine?

I've never had any trouble with gabapentin, but I also take carbamazepine for "makes me want to just gnaw my own arm off" feelings, when gabapentin isn't enough...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Gabapentin

Shashi,

I too take gabapentin, 300mg 4xday spaced out over the afternoon and night. Since you have not taken it for a while is possibly why you are having this reaction.

Everytime my dosage was increased I had the drunk like feeling. Within a few weeks it would go away and I would be stable enough so I could function. But then again, I take mine in the afternoon and at night before bed.

I was told by my doctor never to take old meds and I personally don't. I do take ultram with my gabapentin with my afternoon dosage and feel no affects from it. I have been on this regiment for over 5 months now.

I too have that gnawing feeling in my legs. So I understand wanting quick relief. We all have to find what works for us. I sure hope you can find your relief.

Prayers and thoughts are with you!
        STR

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
          Do you have any carbamazepine?

I've never had any trouble with gabapentin, but I also take carbamazepine for "makes me want to just gnaw my own arm off" feelings, when gabapentin isn't enough...
          No, all I have is old gabapentin. Right now, the pain has eased up. Maybe I just overdid it yesterday and that's what caused the nerve pain to flare up. (We had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday instead of Thursday, so I was wrestling with a 20 lb. turkey most of the day.)
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
          X