Question about dexamethasone dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about dexamethasone dosage

I have been prescribed a five-day course of oral dexamethasone (because this cost me $0 and IV would have cost $550) 40 mg per day.

I have only been able to find five-day dosage history of 16 mg per day. I did also find 30 mg per day dosing for five days with 2 -12 mg every other day for two weeks.

Does anyone have experience with dexamethasone oral treatment for a flair? Could you tell me what your dosage schedule was?

Thank you!

I have taken (4) 4 mg first day, (2) 4 mg day two (1) 4mg day three.

It worked great for me!

Sara

Comment

Thank you - I think this is what I will do. I could not find anyone else who took 40mg a day for five days then bam - drop it.

I appreciate your help - I trust someone else going through this much more than most doctors.

Comment

Found white paper

I actually realized on day one, this bottle says I was supposed to take 80 mg per day!!!! for 5 days!!!! Judging from what 16 mg did to me on day one, I'd have been in bed, unable to walk, peeing myself, and unable to think if I'd taken that dose. Thank goodness for a place to discuss with others!

I did find a Neurology white paper before I began this dosing that said they changed the dose of dexamethasone for MS exacerbations in 2011 to be 40 mg in 1 week, whether taken all at once, or over a few days. They found this to be sufficient, where methylprednisolone still should be dosed at 800 to 1,000 mg per day for 1 to 5 days.

I am doing 40 mg over 4 days - 16, 12, 8, 4

Comment

Working...
        X