Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prednisone commiseration

Hi Everyone,

I've looked and can't seem to find any other chats on this... I can't think I'm the only one who has been on this journey.

High dose steroids!! Not the medrol pack (those are bad enough), but I mean the 60 mg. Prednisone for a week and then start tapering. Has anyone else been on this where it takes a good 6 weeks to get off? I'm in week 2 and feeling like I'm going out of my mind with the side effects. It's gotten the MS symptoms back under control, but the cascade of side effects are almost overwhelming.

I've been on the IV steroids before with a shorter taper. I guess it's better not to do the IV unless we have to, but this is difficult!

Anyone else been there?? Carb cravings, jitters, blood sugar issues.

In September I finished my high dose prednisone 55 pills. And now that it's over I've been having bad elaborate dreams (this has been going on for a month). And I gained a much unwanted 5 lbs. I know that may not sound like much but I think it's going to continue to grow because I can't seem to stop eating. The prednisone did help the problem I was given it for - so that's good. But this new to me side effect of the prednisone is killing me because I'm totally exhausted when I wake up - more so than the normal MS fatigue I experience. I told my neuro about it and he said the dreams were from the steroids but he didn't tell me when they would stop!

Comment

I was once on 80mg with a taper; I want to say it took a month for the full course. Oh, the heartburn! And the anger. I hated everyone and everything after a couple of weeks. I didn't have sugar issues, thankfully.

I do now have steroid induced cataracts (oh joy) and while I know cataracts are common, they are less so when you're in your mid 30s. /whine

Comment

I'm coming off of tysabri and doc put me on pred..I take 25 fifty mg pills in a half hour..this is once a month for 3 months..I think the munchies have taken me over..I seem to be more aggressive and more irritable..not sure..don

Comment

Working...
        X