AMPYRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMPYRA

I am seeing a neurologist who has prescribed Ampyra. He put me on Macrobid due to the fact that I had 7 or 8 UTIs last year. He also sent me to a neuro/urologist to check my kidney function since that is such a concern when taking Ampyra.

Testing showed that I am not fulling emptying my bladder, but so far kidneys are good. He said that he expects I will have to begin self cathing in 6 months.

I am 74 years old, R/R 10 years; SP 21 years. I only take 2 medications: small dose of Clonazapam for spasticity, Imipramine--used for bed wetting children and a mild antidepressant. Not depressed--I do have to wear pads 24/7 and still have overflow accidents. And now Ampyra which may helpith my walking--use a walker now.

QUESTION??? Is it safe to begin taking Aleve or any NSAID along with the above meds? I take a baby aspirin at night now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you have.

Hi annintexas! I was on Ampyra for a time and took (Advil) ibuprofen for general pain. But, please don't take my word for it~ the best person to ask is your pcp or neuro, as always!!

I hope it works for you as it has for many more! Unfortunately, it didn't help my walking.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Shesha -- I'm still having trouble getting into MSWorld site, so am just now finding response from you.

I know checking with my neuro is the thing to do. However we are 550 miles from him for the winter so I thought I'd try here.

I'm really glad to find someone who has been on Ampyra! I have taken it for almost a month now. No side effects, but no change in strength, walking, energy etc.

May I ask about your experience with it -- why you how long you took it, did you have any side effects, how often you were tested for kidney function? Thanks

Thanks.

Comment

Hi again - I was on it for 10 -12? months, but don't know why I waited so long to figure out that it wasn't working for me!! Others have reported that they saw immediate or near-immediate improvements in their walking, but I kept thinking...well, just give it more time. Never did help my walking, but I did feel more energy. I did not experience any side affects.

Here are some older threads about what others say about this drug - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=ampyra

And - http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=ampyra

Again, most importantly, if you can't get in to see you prescribing doctor because of distance, call them to talk about your questions. Or call direct to an Ampyra representative at 1-800-397-8082.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully, others here can chime in as well.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi AnneInTexas,

Was born in Dallas but parents moved to Wisconsin just before I started school. Still feel a connection to the lone star state being the only rebel in the family living up North.

I started Amyra in the past year and noticed an improvement in my gait and speed. I also used to drift left when walking and that dissappeared as well. As I recall I did notice some improvements within a week or two but was told improvements could take as long as 4 to 6/8 weeks. You still have time obviously so give it as much time as your doctors say for it to take full effect.

As for kidney tests I think I only had one or two tests to check my kidney functions and everything was great.

Best Wishes,
          Sleepless

Comment

Working...
          X