Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to ween of cymbalta, has anyone else done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to ween of cymbalta, has anyone else done it?

I've never had a problem coming off any other medicine. Saying that I've been trying to come off Cymbalta for over 3 months and it's the worst drug I've ever came off of. I've went from 90mg down to 30 a day and will try again next week to go to the 30 mgs every other day. we tried it 2 weeks ago and it was to much so the dr said to wait and try it again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has succesfully came off Cymbalta?

I weaned myself off of Paxil. I'm sure that's different, but what was interesting was the way my doctor did it. He prescribed me a liquid form. Every day I too one teaspoon and every day I put back one teaspoon of water. That way, it was diluted by just a little each day - too small to notice. I was able to take it as long as I could still taste anything.

I'm not sure if that can be done with cymbalta. But you might also read or ask your Dr. about the best way to do it.

Comment

You should talk to your doctor is you can.
      I had a terrible time coming off of Effexor. My doctor added Wellbutrin and it was less awful.

Good luck.

Comment

Couldn't tolerate Cymbalta!

I've heard it is difficult to go off of, but I'm sure it can be done.

I took it once, that was enough. I couldn't even walk or talk. My hubby had to hold me up becuz my legs turned to Jello.

If you do a search for Cymbalta you'll get tons of opinions. I'd start by asking the doctor first and also pharmacists can be helpful.

Good luck. Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I am going off under my Dr's guidance but theres not much he can do. He said I was one of his first patients he started on Cymbalta in 2009 and he wasn't aware off the drastic withdrawls until later on. Basically the way he's explained the withdrawls from this drug to me is as worst than herion because phsycally it takes longer to get out of your body.

Herion will be out of your body with 7-14 days where Cymbalta will take 2 months or more. The brain zaps,teeth numbness, everything is crazy. I know I'm not describing all this right. When he described it all it sounded so much better and I can't remember it all how he said it. I wish I could remember how He explained it to me

Anyways I was just hoping to hear of someone that had actually made it thru these withdrawls.I did google Cybalta withdrawls after posting this and found alot of info and a few people that did make it thru and finally got past the withdrawls and that made me fill much better

Comment

I went through that a few years back after having gone off after a year. I did get the zaps. Every time I turned my head, an electric shock like sensation traveled down to my arms. I imagine this is a lot like what L'hermittes feels like.

Some people have a horrible time coming off of it, and others have none. It's all really personal. I tapered down from 90 to 30 and then did 30 every other day for a couple of weeks to a month. The zaps lasted a couple of weeks to a month and then went away. Otherwise, the withdrawal was pretty uneventful for me.

They do make a 20 mg dose. This is what I take now. I did try going off of this for a week this summer and had some big bladder spasms, which depressed me a bit, so I went back on. LOL. Either the Cymbalta is stabilizing bladder function, or it was a side effect of the withdrawal. This dose seems to work better for me than the higher levels, so I stick with it.

Maybe you could ask for a 20 mg dose to help you taper off easier. Either way, best of luck to you. I hope you, like I did, find the withdrawal is more hype than reality.
            It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

Gosh, I forgot to mention, I'd go as long as I could until the zaps started and then take another dose. Over time, those doses got farther and farther apart, then eventually the zaps stopped and I went off completely. So yes, it wasn't exactly every other day, but it worked out to be something close to it.

Comment

Cymbalta is the only thing that actually controlled my pain but when it got to where I could not afford it and quit the medicine cold turkey I thought I was going to die. When Dr. found out I had stopped taking it she told me it was important for me to take this med. Well stupid me went back on it and ended up having to stop again because of cost I weaned a little slower this time with taking pill every other day until I finally just stopped. it was difficult for about 2 weeks but I did get off it and will never go back on this medicine. I cannot fathom what is in this to make us so ill when we discontinue it!

Comment

Those of you that did go off how long were you on it before going off?

Comment

For me, it was a year and a half. I said a year earlier to be brief.

Comment

I was on it for 5 years at 90 mg (with Lamictal 100 mg). Had to discontinue due to cost. My psychiatrist put me on nortriptoline (sic?) and it was a nightmare! I'm not sure if it was the transition (gradual over the course of a month) of weening off Cymbalta or starting the new drug.

In any case, I was put on Celexa and have been doing quite well.

Comment

Cymbalta is a tough one not so much because of what it is made of but how it is made. Because each of those beads in the capsule is enteric coated (extended release) so it is difficult to do (though not impossible) to do a nice slow taper. I ended up having to have a compounding pharmacy divide the capsules into smaller amounts and at the same time I did a taper up on zoloft. If you don't need an anti-depressant you could then taper off of zoloft (it is much easier to get off zoloft).

I wish you luck, cymbalta is not one of my favorite meds.
                        M.
                        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

I am working through weaning off Cymbalta now.

I did an internet search and found a few places that had a suggestion I am trying. I break my capsule open, and every day I "lower my dose". First, I sprinkle all the little beads into a saucer, and estimate how much half of them are and push them aside. I get a cup of water, dip the tip of my finger in it, then touch part of the half capsule's worth of beads. They will stick to your finger, then I touch it to my tonge. Then drink water. Down they go! I repeat until half the dose of beads is gone. I did that for about a week. Now, I divide the capsule into estimated thirds, and do the same thing. I'll keep tapering that way.

This means I don't have to have a perscription for a lower dose, I just create the lower dose myself. Since each beads has a time released coating, it works well.

This is not to say I'm not having side effects anyway. I'm still having the brain zaps when I look around quickly or move my head. And my emotions are out the roof-- I cry at the drop of a hat. Maybe I should go even slower. But I do think this is a good way to do it, at no added expense. Good luck!
                          Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
                          Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
                          dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

HORRIBLE

I am trying to wean off right now. I was taking 120mg a day. My dr stopped taking insurance, so on my first meeting with my new Dr, she gives me a schedule to wean off of several of my medications. First was Cymbalta. She had me stop it in 2 days! I stayed off of it for about 1.5 weeks, but was ready to beat everyone up (would never do that), could not eat, drink, had diarrhea, nauseas, sweating profusely with the most intense pain I have ever felt. It was HORRIBLE! I started taking 60mg a day again and I am going back to the Dr that does not take insurance. I will just pay her!!!!!!! I hope that this next time goes well. I like the idea of just emptying the capsules. Good luck and let me know if you found something that worked!
                            RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Working...
                            X