Vit D and Magnesium combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vit D and Magnesium combination?

Hi! I take 1,000 IUs Vitamin D3 every day. But I would like to add this magnesium stuff called CALM (magnesium citrate 350 mg) because so many people here say it helps them.

When I looked up that combination on Drug Interaction checker it had a warning saying that the vit d may cause magnesium buildup in blood, especially if you have kidney problems (which I don't). Is there anyone taking both magnesium and vitamin d3? I really want to add magnesium to my regimen. Thanks!

First thing to know is your blood serum levels of vitamin D. If you don't know your current levels, how much vitamin d do you know to supplement? 1000 iu's of vitamin D sounds a little light, IMO.

Then the dosage of magnesium should be considered. Do you know that 'milk of magnesia' uses a form of magnesium as a laxative ? Do yourself a favor and consult the USRDA dosage numbers for magnesium. I don't think anyone should take supplements without having done some research on them, first. Good luck

Comment

Thank you for your reply A few years back, my Vit D serum levels were very low (like 8?), so I had to take the 50,000 IU's a week for 12 weeks, then I had to repeat that again. I'm not sure what my levels are right now, just that my dr. says they're back within the accepted range and told me to continue with 1,000 IU supplement daily. The past year or so, I've remained in that range, but I think I'm due for another test soon.

One thing that still confuses me is that I thought I'd heard that sometimes being in the low part of the 'accepted range' for vitamin d levels wasn't necessarily a high enough level for PWMS--like maybe we want to be in the mid to high range?

I guess I need to do more research into the magnesium. I have tried MoM, but am unsure if it's safe for daily use. Thanks again!

Comment

I take them together. Mostly for constipation (mag), but without the calcium. My levels are checked regularly.

Just have them checked and you should be ok.
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

When your doctor says your levels of vitamin D are 'safe', that means NOtHING. What are your actual numbers? Your doctor is aware that you have been dangerously low in the past. Since he told you to continue on !000 iu's daily, you should be regularly monitoring through blood labs to see if that dose is sufficient.
          The FDA says the minimum blood level is 30 ng/mL. Just about every other serious research body considers the range to be 50 ng/mL to 80 ng/mL with an upper limit being 100 ng/mL. I think that I read that vitamin D toxicity will result in bowel discomfort and diarrhea. Good luck

Comment

Sounds like it's time to pay my PCP a visit to find out my levels and be tested again! Thank you for your responses. I appreciate this information!

Comment

SonyaK,
              I just wanted to give you an example of where my head was when I posted to you. I spoke to my cardiologist in late July and she thought, maybe, I was taking too high a dose of vitamin D3 ( I take 5000iu's daily).

I was around 20 something a few years ago when I began supplementing. I saw my PCP and requested we begin blood testing this, periodically. He did the blood draw and the level came back increasingly higher, but not rocketing. higher. It took about 3 years and today I found out that my levels are 50ng/mL. So, I think if one finds their levels low, supplementing with a little vitamin D3 is OK.
              But as soon as you spend about a month or 2, taking 1000iu's daily, your levels should be tested. If they increase, that's good. If they don't, you need to have a serious talk with your medical team. They just think they are gods. I know different. They're minor gods.

Comment

Thanks for this additional explanation! When you say blood drawn periodically, how often would be best? I think it's been a year or a little longer since I've had my levels tested So, when I said I've remained in that normal range, that was because he said I would remain in the normal range because the 1,000 IUs would keep me there. I see now, that is not necessarily the case.

Comment

I have been getting the blood test about every 6 months to a year. More than a year between tests, IMO, is too distant.
                  I am not trying to second guess your doctor's opinion. I am not qualified to do so.
                  I am just saying that the levels should be between 50 and 80. You may even feel a little better. My naturopath, who is an MD, said he wants to see my levels near 70. Hey doc, I am doing the best I can.
                  Good luck

Comment

Also when your D levels get into the ideal range (for that I like Embry's directms site
                    ...www/direct-ms.org/sites/default/files/Embry-VitaminDSupplementation.pdf...) calcium and magnesium levels will increase as well as vit d is necessary for optimal absorption.

Comment

Thank you for this additional information!

Comment

Working...
                      X