Low pulse rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low pulse rate

Has anyone taking Rebif (have been on for years) or pulse steroids (have been on for 2 months) have problems with low heart rate. Until recently I ran 70-80's at rest until the last few months. Now I am running 52-56 and had an episode yesterday where I almost passed out but do not know what the pulse was because I did not check.

Interesting question. After DX, I lost weight, started exercising and went on a Vegan + Fish + flax oil diet. My heart rate started dropping to where it was 48 while lying down in the Dr's office. I stopped my heart meds.

So my questions:

Are you on any BP Meds? Have you lost weight? Are you exercising?

That said, i always felt that my heart rate and BP dropped after DX and starting Avonex (same drug as Rebif). Also, MS can alter autonomic functions.

It's something that you should discuss with your doctor.

I find that drinking enough water helps me when standing so i don't get dizzy.

Comment

Hi BigA--actually I have been working very hard over the last year and have lost 45 pounds with a change in diet and exercising, focusing on strenghtening my core, as it is very weak. Exercise is very difficult for me and am NOT by ANY standard in "good shape" or considered athletic...LOL! If it says anything- I am completely dripping wet with perspiration with each work out. But I enjoy trying my hardest and I do think I see an increase in my coordination and balance. And it does wonders for my depression--I spend 1/2 the class laughing at my self. Laughter REALLY is good medicine.

I am also on BP meds and have been for many years. I still battle with it being high despite the weight loss. In fact it is higher before I exercise-yest was 164/102- After is was 132/76

If I may ask-How do you feel with a pulse rate in the 40's and 50's? Can you tell? Do you feel dizzy or a little slow mentally? And when it is that low does it feel like you heart is beating VERY hard or strong and that your MS hug feels tighter like you run out of breathe/air when you are talking?

Comment

Hi, elliebelle!

Feeling like you're about to pass out is probably not a result of a low heart rate, at least not in the range you're talking about, which is low but not abnormally low. But if you feel your medication is effecting your heart, you should definitely ask your doctor.

My heart rate has been in the 50s and sometimes lower for many years, largely due to exercise.

A healthy heart will respond to exercise pretty quickly by beating faster, and then recover to its baseline fairly soon afterwards. And by the way, sweating during exercise is actually a sign of fitness. It means your body's cooling mechanism is working and knows what to do.

And laughing is great too!

Comment

Working...
        X