Anybody who has/is using 4-AP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody who has/is using 4-AP?

My neurologist prescribed 4_AP - not Ampyra. So I got it filled at the compounding pharmacy. I took one (10mg) and felt absolutely awful. Doc said to stop so I did.

Six months later, another visit, he said try taking the capsule apart and take only 5 mg.

I did. I feel GREAT.

My question is: I now take three a day; one at morning, one at lunch, one at supper. This makes them about 5-6 hours apart. Those of you with experience, do you take on that type a schedule? Any thoughts about stepping up to 10mg?

I appreciate all that you guys offer. It is wonderful to be able to bounce things off people with personal experience!

I started on 4-AP when I was dx in 2009 taking 10 mg twice a day 12 hours apart and had no issues.

My neurologist switched me to Ampyra when it came out and I'm still on the same twice a day schedule.

Both seem to work equally as well for me.

Comment

I've been taking 10mg 4-AP instant release every 5-6 hours now for about four years with no issues, not at night. Helps with leg strength and spasticity.

I get it from Skip's Pharmacy by mail order at a cash cost of $110 for 300 10mg caps - a little over three months supply.

I also take LDN and Baclofen with 4-AP.

Comment

4-AP

I took this 8 years ago. Initially, I walked much better. As my doc increased the dosage, I had too much tingling/buzzing and ended up w/ a bad reaction. Off of it a few weeks. Didn't help the second time around--led to an emergency room visit because of same symptoms. I stopped taking it. Make sure your doc makes the dosage decisions. Hope it works for you.

Comment

I've been taking compounded 4-ap for at least 5yrs. It's been so long i can't remember what my initial capsule mg were. They may have been 5mg because my neuro insisted on caution. I know I started at !x (one a day). My first dose made me slightly dizzy, but noticebly stronger on transfers.

I now take 10mg on the same schedule as you. I always think less is better, so if 5mg is working I'd stick with it. That said you body would probably tolerate a higher dose now.

I started with 4-ap before Ampyra was released. My neuro asked if I wanted to switch and I said no. It really angers me that a drug company can charge $1000/month for a $30 drug that's been around for decades.

I'm glad it works for you.
          lori

Comment

My neuro prescribed 4-AP and I took one dose. Within one hour I felt as though I had been poisoned! Dizzy, nauseated, fell on floor when trying to get to phone to call for help. My caps were 10mg compounded by Clarks. I asked my neuro about taking a lesser dose but he says doses of less than 10 mg are ineffective.

Comment

mtnwillow - I must respectfully disagree with your doc.

My experience sounds exactly like yours! Within an hour of my first capsule, I was wobbly (drunk-like) and tingly all over. My doc also said don't take it again.

Then 6 months later he said try taking half. I have been doing that for about a month and it REALLY is helping.

I still get the drunk feeling if I take them too close together (or maybe it is because I am not weighing when I am splitting them).

We should all do what is best for us. For me, I'm not sure I even wanted this to be the answer but in a lot of ways, I think it might be (at least it helps).

Comment

4-AP & Ampyra

I took 4-AP for about 4 years and it seemed to give me a lot more energy and heat tolerance. I was taking 10 mg. twice a day. Maybe it was placebo effect--I'm all for that but it got where it was not helping and I stopped.

I've had MS for more than 30 years -- dx'd in 1981-- 10 years R/R, 20 years SP. My neuro now has me on Ampyra to see if it will help with walking more and using scooter less.

My neuro said absolutely to insist on a $40/month co-pay. It is sold and delivered directly through the Manufacturer, Acorda. Sort of ... You actually phone Accreda 888-881-1918 for what is called Mitigation. Or co-pay assistance. 800 803 25423 is another number we had to go through. Medco is where we usually order our drugs. From now on we don't order anything -- They just the send drug every three months with 3 refills. We get a bill from Medco for $1000/mo. and we pay $40/month.

Confused? Us too. I went through a lot of testing to make sure my kidneys were A-OK--if yours aren't, don't take it. I take 10 mg. extended release every 12 hours. A larger dose can cause seizures. Never take it you have a fever. The Ampyra folks will have a nurse talk to you regarding side effects -- they are very fussy that you are taking it properly.

I take it at 7 am and 7 pm to avoid insomnia. There can be a lot of other side effects. I have been on it for only 2 weeks so no idea if it will help. I'm no expert -- just passing along info I've gotten from my neuro, my neuro/urologist and the folks at Ampyra.

Comment

I used to take 4-AP, and really liked it. There were no side effects for me. I switched to Ampyra when it came out, simply because it is covered by insurance. I actually think the 4-AP worked a little better for me. (a bit more energy)

Comment

I been using 4-AP for 4 years. 10 mgs once or twice a day. I've not had any problems. As with most things with MS, individual results vary, widely in some cases. Negative side effects are the norm. Worth trying, actually helps me.
                    Steve
                    sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Just a follow up.

I stopped taking the 4-AP. I did a little research on the side effects. I found that I was exhibiting a LOT of them. I didn't know if they were due to the 4-AP or something else so I experimented by stopping for a while. All of the side effects went away.

I have taken it since then and discovered two things. One, if I just take one, I have limited side effects but they are ones I really don't like (mainly dizziness). If I take more one, all of the symptoms come back.

I talked with my neuro and he said if the side effects are more troublesome than the benefits I should stop the drug. And so I did. Now it is more important to exercise regularly.

Comment

Working...
                      X