Am I responsible for balance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I responsible for balance ?

I am new to this forum, but I really need advice.

I have been on Copaxone for years and at some point some years ago (at least 3-4 years) my insurance (Anthem Blue Cross) told us we had to use Curascript mail order pharmacy at which point we were switched to 90 day supply at a time refills. We have not had any issues since.

When I went to order something from Curascript yesterday, I was informed that my account was "flagged" because insurance has not paid for my last 2 90 day supply shipments ($25k of meds) because they require us to order 30 day supplies instead of 90 days.

I called insurance and they say that they do require 30 day supplies and had they been sent as 30 days they would have paid.

I am physically ill (to say the least) cause I am concerned they might come after us for the $25k. I have absolutely no problem ordering 30 day had we known. I was under the impression that it was the pharmacy's obligation to check to see if they would cover that before sending us a shipment. Specially when we have been ordering 90 day supplies for years w/o issues.

The account statements from Curascript are still showing the $25k as insurance responsible, but the account statement does read at the bottom "You may be responsible for any amount not paid by insurance. We suggest you contact your carrier to expedite payment or if you wish to dispute your patient responsibility". In a way I want to wait and see if Curascript says its my responsibility, but I am afraid that because its such a large amount it might be immediately turned over to collections.

When I spoke to Anthem's person they said Curascript should not have dispatched it. Is this Curascript's responsibility? Am I liable? Anyone experienced anything similar?

It doesn't sound great, but I suspect it can be fixed. I would call your local MS Society and ask for help. Often, someone in the middle can make the conference calls and nudge things along. At the end of the day, they would have paid and it's likely the 30-day price is more expensive, so it's actually cheaper for them.

You can also call shared solutions and ask for help. Tell them that you may have to stop taking copaxone and maybe that will get them rolling.

Finally, you can call your state insurance commission and if it really ever got bad, call the local news and ask for consumer help (local MS patient sent bill for $25k and can't get medecine..etc)

But I think you can work it out if you work on it. Don't worry.

Comment

Does your state have an insurance/health care advocate? You should be able to find out via Google. Call...

And - if need be - raise this question with your insurance: what are their terms of service with the pharmacy? There are routes they have to follow before filling prescriptions. If they violated that route, you can not be billed for the balance.

Comment

It seems to me to be the pharmacy fault. I know when my
        Dr. ordered Amprya. He did it for 30 day supply. It the ended up the Amprya told me to call the Dr. to change the presciption for 90 days.

Sara

Comment

Whether the pharmacy had authorization from the insurance company is between them, and not your problem at all. The pharmacy can say anything they want, but you don't owe them a dime!
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
          X