Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinpocetine (Cavinton, Intelectol) for MS - did anyone try or hear of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinpocetine (Cavinton, Intelectol) for MS - did anyone try or hear of this?

Vinpocetine is reported to have cerebral blood-flow enhancing and neuroprotective effects, and is used as a drug in Eastern Europe for the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders and age-related memory impairment.

I got a few pills of this and I was wondering if anyone used it, knows anything about in terms of it relating to helping MS patients. Does anyone take it? Does it help? There isn't much out there that I could find as in relationship to MS, but I got a few pills form Russia - where it is a very popular drug, especially for people who have brain fog, Alzheimer's, memory impairment.

Vinpocetine (brand names: Cavinton, Intelectol; chemical name: ethyl apovincaminate) is an extract from the periwinkle plant.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Never heard of those drugs. Or are they supplements? But you have given me some things to research.

Comment

Vinpocetine may be a brand-name drug in Europe, but here in the US it's just a dietary supplement. No need to go all cloak and dagger and snare "a few pills from Russia." Several supplement manufacturers have vinpocetine in their lines. I used to get mine from Vitamin Shoppe.

I used to give vinpocetine and a few other supplements to my dearly departed significant other during the last years of his life when he had moderate dementia. I don't think it helped particularly.

If it might be helpful for people with MS, it would be because it might be helpful for brains in general. But just because it's popular, it doesn't mean it actually works to help thinking and memory. It didn't appear to help my dearly departed. And what it might work for isn't what causes brain damage in MS. Ginko biloba hasn't lived up to its early hype for helping with cerebral blood flow, cognition and memory, either.

Rather, the opposite might be true for MS. While it may be "reported" that vinpocetine has neuroprotective properties, a current article reports that it may actually inhibit remyelination in MS, causing the authors to suggest that vinpocetine intake be restricted during periods of remission in MS.

"Vinpocetine inhibits oligodendroglial precursor cell differentiation."
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22854710

Comment

Interesting...

I know it is also available here in the US, it is just it is more popular overseas and it was suggested by my family who had the pills from Russia already.
        I will look into your article. I took half a pill yesterday and I got some of my energy back and I actually slept well for the first time in months. I don't know if it is coincidence or what...

Comment

About Vinpocetine

I just read this article that is medical research which indicates vinpocetine affects myelin repair in a negative way. Please read it.
          multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2012/08/research-neurtriceutical-may-inhibit.html

Comment

Working...
          X