Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost For Infusion

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone knows (ballpark figures) what a one hour infusion for Solumedrol costs. I know it varies from place to place, but I am curious as to what you may have heard.

Amount charged for 3 nursing visits, 5 days IV drugs:
    $1315.80

Amount insurance paid:
    $441.80

Still happy I have insurance!
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi Tom:
      I don't know how much an infusion costs because my insurance covers mine completely, without a copay -- but that's only because my monthly premium is as high as my mortgage payment.

But I'd like to throw this out there. If the cost of an infusion might prevent you from getting treated, there's still the option of taking high-dose prednisone orally. Not many doctors are familiar with prescribing high-dose orals, and many who know about it aren't comfortable enough to do it. Your doctor will have to be brave and you'll have to be brave. But high-dose oral prednisone is being prescribed more and more often. The cost savings over IV is dramatic.

Whether you're interested in a single treatment (as in a pulsed dose) or a multiday treatment, the steroids can be prescribed in oral (tablet) form and picked just like a regular med at a pharmacy. At Walmart, a full-dose 3-day treatment should cost maybe $25. With a bottle of OTC acid reducer (a critical necessity), the total cost could be around $30.

If your doctor is reluctant to Rx tablets because of the possible damage from them sitting in your stomach (my doc is), there's also a nice(?) cherry-flavored liquid prednisone available that works around that in a minor way. (Either way, it will be rough on your stomach. Even IV Solu-Medrol is hard on the stomach and it doesn't even touch the stomach. That's why the acid reducer is necessary.) I don't know how much that version costs, but I'm sure it's more expensive than the tablets.

I want to be clear that IV administration of Solu-Medrol is the preferred route (for several reasons). But if the cost of an IV will make the difference between being treated with steroids or not being treated at all, I wanted you to know that there is another, more economical option available.

High-dose oral prednisone isn't easy to do (and there's more you'll need to know if you ever have to). But the relatively low cost means that money doesn't have to prevent you from getting steroid treatment if you need it.

Comment

I'd like to 2nd what Redwings said and if you want to read about it, go here:

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...pies/Steroids/

there are quoted studies at the bottom (6-10) in the footnotes.

But the other path is to ask your PCP if you can have the infusion in their office. You might just pay for an extended office visit and the cost of the drugs are also very cheap. The prices that infusion centers charge and what insurance companies can still be high and there are low cost alternatives.

Comment

Working...
        X