Sanofi multiple sclerosis pill wins U.S. approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanofi multiple sclerosis pill wins U.S. approval

Aubagio is the new once a day pill.How do you feel about that?
    Without hope there's nothing.

Mixed feelings, I guess, since it has a black box warning from the get-go for abrmal liver values.
    First episode with third pregnancy
    On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
    Proud mommy of three children

Comment

I thought WOW GEE GREAT. Then I saw it can mess with the liver. It seems most MS meds mess with the liver...
      SgrammieD

Comment

I'm quite sure my doctor will not recommend it for me. He's pretty adamant about not suppressing immune systems that are already compromised (chemo & radiation, in my case).
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by sexygatubela View Post
          Mixed feelings, I guess, since it has a black box warning from the get-go for abrmal liver values.
          I feel the same as you.A daily pill would be great instead of the monthly Tysabri infusion but if it messes with my liver I won't mess with it.The story I read says that it has virtually no side effects.

Comment

Originally posted by ms man View Post
            I feel the same as you.A daily pill would be great instead of the monthly Tysabri infusion but if it messes with my liver I won't mess with it.The story I read says that it has virtually no side effects.
            I think all the therapies except Copaxone carry liver warnings. Are those for Aubagio any stronger than others?

Here are the liver and PML warnings on Tysabri. I don't think you can really compare them - Tysabri is much stronger and more dangerous. If you need it, you need it. I suspect Aubagio is for first line use.

http://www.tysabri.com/tysabri-side-effects.xml

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
              I think all the therapies except Copaxone carry liver warnings. http://www.tysabri.com/tysabri-side-effects.xml
              Hi Big A:

Altough liver effects are not listed as a side effect of Copaxone, it has been encountered as a problem in some patients after the medication was approved. I know it happenned to me. I had a ten-fold increase of liver enzymes while on the medication.

I just started Rebif, so let see how my liver reacts to it. Sigh!
              First episode with third pregnancy
              On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
              Proud mommy of three children

Comment

Originally posted by sexygatubela View Post
                Hi Big A:

Altough liver effects are not listed as a side effect of Copaxone, it has been encountered as a problem in some patients after the medication was approved. I know it happenned to me. I had a ten-fold increase of liver enzymes while on the medication.

I just started Rebif, so let see how my liver reacts to it. Sigh!
                I did Rebif for about a year and didn't like it.It was not for me.

Good luck with it.

Comment

It seems to have many of the side effects of Gylenia and there was 3 or 4 deaths during the trial from heart related issues as well.
                  Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

@ Scooter24 - I was at an MS conference this weekend and heard more about Aubagio. The side effects seem much less extreme than those for Gilenya.

The deaths reported for Aubagio were a car accident, sepsis and suicide, plus one death in the placebo group. No reports of any heart deaths.

The Gilenya deaths that occurred were with patients receiving 2x the current dose + steroid treatment at the same time; and one patient who did not report to his nuerologist that he was taking heart medication before starting Gilenya.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                      @ Scooter24 - I was at an MS conference this weekend and heard more about Aubagio. The side effects seem much less extreme than those for Gilenya.

The deaths reported for Aubagio were a car accident, sepsis and suicide, plus one death in the placebo group. No reports of any heart deaths.

The Gilenya deaths that occurred were with patients receiving 2x the current dose + steroid treatment at the same time; and one patient who did not report to his nuerologist that he was taking heart medication before starting Gilenya.
                      That's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X