Muscle Relaxers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle Relaxers???

I have been prescribed muscle relaxers ever since I was diagnosed. I took them several times a day in the beginning. I was prescribed Baclofen. Several years later Zanaflex was added. This medicine was going to block the nerve ending. I was having severe spasms in my frozen shoulder and onto my shoulder blade to the base of my skull. The medicine helped me a lot. Unfortunately the side effects kicked my butt. I am tired and fatigued everyday. I didn't need a pill that made me even more tired. I started just taking it at bedtime.

About a year later my PCP tells me that muscle relaxers can contribute to constipation. This was not so good news. My constipation is a problem. I have tried everything from fiber pill, fiber wafers, yogurt, Courtural pills, drinks that help digestion, lots of vegetables to laxitives. My doctor even tested to see if my sphincter was overly tight. That was not just an awkward conversation but an unpleasant examination! If I had all the money I have spent on digestive-constipation remedies. I could buy another Coach purse and matching wallet!

The only thing that works for me is to take vegetable laxitives every other day. I can't go anywhere on those days either. I may be constipated but when it does want to come out....i have no ability to hold it in. Sadly after two "poop accidents" I learned to just stay home! Lol

One story is priceless! You have to hear this. My son and his friend wanted to apply for jobs at a warehouse. My husband couldn't take them. I really didn't think much of when I said I would take them. Maybe in the back of my mind I thought something could happen. I put a small blanket on my car seat. So we go and I get them there. They go in and apply. While they were gone my stomached started cramping. I thought they would be done. I started to drive back home. As my cramps got worse I mouthed to my son that I HAD to go to the bathroom now! He gave me a scared terrified look. His buddy was in the back seat. I was driving as fast as I could. It just wasn't fast enough! That was the day I learned I have no control over my sphincter! Lol

I can still see my sons face when I mouthed to him " I just **** my pants"! It was winter but we both immediately rolled our windows down!
    This is what I mean when I say you have to be able to laugh at times like this. Sure it was devastating to me but it is something I can not change. So I choose to laugh instead of cry or get upset.
    Do any of you have any constipation relief that works for you? Please share cause I know I am not the only one with this problem.
    Have you laughed today? It really helps!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

OMG Christine, that's 2 days in a row I have opened one of your posts and laughed at some not-so-funny incidents (yesterday, it was your exercise post). You really have a great attitude and sense of humour.

You have probably tried Metamucil, I swear by it. It's quick to make, tastes ok and reasonably inexpensive. I don't suffer from loss of control like you so it may even be too strong for you.

Hope you find something that works... but not too well!
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Laughing

Jen thanks for your comment. I try to be descriptive do that everyone can see how funny it is. This way we all may learn to laugh and take what may happen to our bodies better. Positive thinking and laughter. Lol

Comment

Working...
      X