Low Dose Ampyra Misses Benefit Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Dose Ampyra Misses Benefit Targets

Acorda Therapeutics Inc said on Monday that a low-dose version of its multiple sclerosis drug Ampyra did not work in a clinical study, a potentially positive result that will hold generic competition at bay until 2027.

A post-marketing study of Ampyra failed to show an improvement in patients' walking speed when 5 mg of the drug was given twice a day. Had the 5 mg version worked, generic rivals could have entered the market in 2017 or 2018.

http://ir.acorda.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...941&highlight=

Bonus information for reading my thread -->

From March 2010 through March 2011, approximately 46,000 people with multiple sclerosis (MS) filled at least one prescription for AMPYRA. Among those patients, there were 82 confirmed reports of seizure. This rate is consistent with that seen in AMPYRA clinical trials.

http://ir.acorda.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...306&highlight=

You can get 5mg 4-aminopyridine ('4-AP"), generic Ampyra, any day, instant or sustained release, from a compounding pharmacy for about $30 a month, cash.

Compounding pharmacists will also tell you that the seizure risk is lower with instant release 4-AP than Ampyra because the sustained release process of Ampyra is subject to too many variables in your stomach (foods you eat, liquids, etc.). Ampyra actually increases the risk of seizure over properly taken instant release 4-AP.

I've been taking 10mg instant release 4-AP, 3X a day, every 5-6 hours, for over four years and have never had a problem. I get 300mg 10mg caps, a 100 day supply, for about $95 cash from Skip's Pharmacy, Boca Raton, FL delivered by mail order.

Your neuro doesn't have to jump through insurance company hoops to get you 4-AP like Ampyra, no walking test, etc.

Ampya costs around $17 a dose. 4-AP about .30 cents a dose.

"Ampyra" was derived from "Amino Pyridine"

If you want to learn more about 4-AP google this phrase:

"4-AP All You Need To Know Dr. Wise Young"

Dr. Young is now an executive at Acorda Therapeutics, the company that was clever enough to take a generic compound and turn it into a ridiculously overpriced drug for MS sufferers. He is now a multi-millionaire.

Comment

Problem with 4AP is that it is sompounded and can't tell if it is mixed correctly or not so may have varying results from one batch to another.

Not sure why they ran the test with lower dosage as most I have talked to are the same as me and feel that it seems to start wearing off a hour or so before the next dose @ 10 mg
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
      X