Injecting Copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting Copaxone

I've been on Copaxone for about a year and a half. Up until a few months ago, I was good at rotating through all of the sites. But for some reason, I suddenly just had a lot of anxiety about injecting in my arms and legs. I think because they are more difficult for me because I don't have much fat on them at all. I'd be sitting there adjusting and flinching for 15 minutes before finally hitting the button. So now I've just been doing my stomach and hips.
    So how long does it take for the lipotrophy to start? Are there people who have not gotten it? I'd hope I can eventually get back to rotating all sites, but I just need a break for now. I at least have never missed a day yet....

Hi South, I've been on Copax for 5 years and have not had any lipotrophy yet. I manually inject, although I'm not sure if this is why. Before putting the needle in, I grab/pinch the area as I don't have lots of fat either. That's impossible to do for the arms so I use a pillow and try to push the fat into place with it. This way, there's less of a chance it will go into the muscle. Best of luck!
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

im very lean and use the autoject set on 5 for my arms, 7 for legs. and oddly, its my belly that i skip because the pain is so intense, and that is where my fat is!
      Katie
      dx rrms: 2/12
      copaxone 3/12 - current
      dx pcos 6/13
      gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Interesting.... I never pinch the fat/skin - I think when I was showed how to do it, she said not to? Just to make sure the area was "loose" and not tensed up? I think I could handle the thighs if pinching was OK.

Comment

South, don't do a little tight pinch... just grab a bunch and inject right into it.
          Jen

Comment

Gotcha - I will maybe give it a try...

Comment

Hi South

I wish you the best with the injections. I would suggest calling Shared Solutions about having the training nurse to come back out to help you with those trouble injection sites.

When I started on Copaxone, I figured out after 3 months that I was needle phobic. I ended up only injecting my stomach. This was before the autoject became available. Once I got the autoject, it has been smooth sailing for me.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

I have lipodystrophy in my thighs and butt where I inject most of the time. Years ago I got a couple of dents in my arms where I don't have much fat and stopped injecting there because I didn't want it to be visible when I wear tank tops. I only inject in my stomach maybe once a week because it doesn't have much fat and can be painful/swell but for some reason I don't seem to have lipodystrophy there.

I guess the good news is that at my age no one needs to be subjected to actually seeing my thighs or butt anyway.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                  I guess the good news is that at my age no one needs to be subjected to actually seeing my thighs or butt anyway.
                  LOL!! Stomach too!

Comment

Working...
                  X