Doppler test - CCSVI questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doppler test - CCSVI questions

I'm booked for a Doppler test at Port Perry Imaging (in Ontario, Canada) in a couple of weeks. They use Zamboni's protocol and their techs were trained by Dr. Sandy McDonald, or so they say.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this place? How did you find the experience? Or at any other place, like how long should it take?

What should I be asking or looking out for during this test?

Anyone in Ontario can get this test if they get a referral from their GP (or is that have a GP willing to give a referral). Cost is $250.00 at this clinic.

I'm lucky to have a GP like I do. The reasoning I used with her is that it's my health and I'm in charge of it. How can I make decisions while missing what might be an important piece of info.

Best of luck to all of you!

Good luck Barry and please let us know the outcome! My doc won't write a referral. The reason? OHIP won't pay my doc for that appointment. Keep us posted though!
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I don't know anything about CCSVI, but a doppler of my carotid arteries took less than 1/2 hour.

What should I be asking or looking out for during this test?
      I doubt you should be looking for anything during the test! Dopplers are usually done by technicians, not docs.

The time for questions is when you follow up with the doctor. You can probably get the test report (written by a doc) before your appointment, but you're more likely to scare/worry yourself than feel enlightened...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
        Good luck Barry and please let us know the outcome! My doc won't write a referral. The reason? OHIP won't pay my doc for that appointment. Keep us posted though!
        Jen
        The doc won't for the sake of $30? That's outright wrong.
        If you're close to Windsor, I'll give the name of my doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
          Jen
          I got the results from my doppler test. Some research is ahead to figure out
          what the numbers mean. (if anything)

Supine Study
          Right IJV cross section 95.0 mm˛
          Left IJV 127.0 mm˛
          No detectable flow in the vertebral veins
          Normal antegrade flow in the internal jugular and deep cerebral veins.

Upright Study
          Right IJV 4.1 mm˛
          Left IJV 20.2 mm˛
          Normal antegrade flow in the internal jugular and deep cerebral veins.

Critera for CCSVI 1/5 (qualifying factor for CCSVI is 2/5)

It seems the 'No detectable flow in the vertebral veins' is because it's either hard to see or it may point to a problem in the azygos? Or maybe it's normal.
          Time to do some reading.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to get this test. Thanks Dr. Jen! It's just not right that it's so difficult for us Canadians to get a referral for a $250 test for what could be really important to know in managing our MS.

Comment

Working...
          X