Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Topomax do anything for neuritis/neuropathy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Topomax do anything for neuritis/neuropathy?

Okay, so I'm considering asking my epilepsy neuro about switching one of my anti-convulsants to an anti-convulsant that works well with nerve pain. Neurontin (gabapentin) is out, because while it works really well for nerve pain, it's not so hot with seizures - and I'm on two seizure medications and still have breakthrough activity.

So I was wondering - does Topomax do anything for nerve pain? I know it works well for migraines, but would it possibly work for nerve pain?
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Just to be specific, I've seen things on the interwebs about it working for nerve pain. I didn't just pull this outta my butt!
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by Spydre View Post
      Okay, so I'm considering asking my epilepsy neuro about switching one of my anti-convulsants to an anti-convulsant that works well with nerve pain. Neurontin (gabapentin) is out, because while it works really well for nerve pain, it's not so hot with seizures - and I'm on two seizure medications and still have breakthrough activity.

So I was wondering - does Topomax do anything for nerve pain? I know it works well for migraines, but would it possibly work for nerve pain?
      I take Topamax for seizures, but have to add Trileptal for nerve pain (Trigeminal Neuralgia). Neurontin did nothing for me. Tegretol gave me headaches, but that's just me, and didn't work very well for the nerve pain. The trileptal has been great so far (6 years-all good). I do get some break-through pain sometimes, but who doesn't.
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I think so

I take a low dosage, 50mg @ bed time, and although I still have pxs w/pain and periodic burning sensation- the intensity and frequency have decreased.

Personally, the greatest benefit has been [B]emotional stability!!! I'm not on the unpredictable rollercoaster anymore; nor has impulsivity been a problem. My father and my husband have stated that they feel as though I am "back."

Evertone responds differently to different meds--- this has been my experience. P.S. NO Negative Side Effects Good Luck.

Shalom, Suzanne
        You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

I take it for nerve pain, it workeed very well in the begining but I think after 3 years at the same dose it's not working as well now lol

Comment

Working...
          X