Knowing our Meds and Weight Gain Side Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowing our Meds and Weight Gain Side Effects

I would like to share my story in a hope that it will help those newly diagnosed navigating these waters.

A lot medications have weight gain as a side effect and the doctors top priority is to manage our MS, rightfully so.
    However, it doesn't take long for some of us to start packing on the pounds once we start our drug cocktails and our activity levels decrease.

I gained over fifteen pounds when I was first diagnosed. This was very difficult for me as I was still recovering from an eating disorder I had most of my life and was fearful I would relapse.

I met with my neuro, explained my issue, and we went over each medication and switched up the ones we could that did not have weight gain as a side effect. Now every time there is a med change such as recently from celexa to cymbalta, one of the first things both my doctor and I consider is, what is the weight side effect.

I'm sure anyone who has struggled with weight or body image, finds this part of MS and added emotional burden, but it can be managed, and it's important for us to feel good about ourselves while we fight this disease.

I hope this helps.

That's great advice. It's important for anyone, but especially someone with MS to get their weight as normal as possible.

Comment

Working...
    X