Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ampyra? Does it help you with other things besides walking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra? Does it help you with other things besides walking?

I am currently appealing a denial of Ampyra after 2 plus years because i cannot do the 25 foot walking test. In fact, i don't walk anymore. I feel that Ampyra was helping make it easier to move my legs in turn making life a little easier. Bathing, dressing, toileting and driving were much easier. Let me know what things were helped for you besides walking. Especially if you don't really walk.

Hi kenmo:
    If you don't qualify for Ampyra anymore, your doctor can still prescribe 4-aminopyridine (4-AP) for you. It's the generic version of the main ingredient in Ampyra, available from compounding pharmacies. You'd have to change your dosing schedule a bit because it isn't timed-release, but there aren't any qualifying rules, either.

Comment

I always wondered about Ampyra - that whole walking faster versus worse balance thing.
      My balance is the reason I can't walk "fast" in the first place.

Comment

My neuro told me the big deal about the walking is that the walking was what was measured in the drug trials. I've been on Ampyra for 2 years now and it hasn't really helped my walking, but it has helped many other things, especially my hands. Before Ampyra I could only type with one or two fingers of one hand. Now, at least some of the time, I can type with both hands, using capitals, etc.
        I had somewhat of a hassle getting it in the first place, but once approved have gotten it each month for my $48 co-pay. Now I just heard that my co-pay will be $100. The one med that seems to really help my symptoms, doubles in price. Grr.
        Hope all works out OK for you.

Comment

Contact the manufacturer and ask for copay assistane.
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by ihtak View Post
            My neuro told me the big deal about the walking is that the walking was what was measured in the drug trials. I've been on Ampyra for 2 years now and it hasn't really helped my walking, but it has helped many other things, especially my hands. Before Ampyra I could only type with one or two fingers of one hand. Now, at least some of the time, I can type with both hands, using capitals, etc.
            I had somewhat of a hassle getting it in the first place, but once approved have gotten it each month for my $48 co-pay. Now I just heard that my co-pay will be $100. The one med that seems to really help my symptoms, doubles in price. Grr.
            Hope all works out OK for you.
            I was just about to start a thread about this (actually, wouldn't surprise me if I had earlier last week, but forgot ). I'm going to ask about it tomorrow, b/c last fall, it was suggested to me twice by the (then) NP in my neuro's office. At the time, the thought of ONE more pill that MIGHT help me walk, or might just help with other symptoms was just not my "cup of tea."

Now, after a THIRD flare since then....I'm more willing to look at other options. Was wondering how many have really been helped by it.

Hope you are able to get it, if it will help you!

Comment

It has definately helped with my foot drop. I thought at one point, that it wasn't helping. So I quit for a day. After that time, it was hard to get in the shower & bed. So I went back on it.

Some days I can walk A LOT better and others not so much!

Sara

Comment

Working...
              X