IV methyleprednsolone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV methyleprednsolone

I have been getting a monthly treatment of IV methyleprednsolone for years. I also do copaxone shots everyday. At my last IV appointment I saw the PA and we talked about how I was doing. I'm not getting the same energy I used to get from the IV. He suggested I get a MRI, last one was in 2008 (and 2003). I did get one June 25 and now I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow. I am wondering what he'll have to say.

I also picked up copy of my MRI (disk) and printed the reports. Both my husband & I read them and agreed there has been little change since the 2008 reports. I feel good about that. So we'll see what the doc has to say

Boy, I'm in Milw, WI and we sure have had our share of HOT weather, been running the air way too much. We really need rain

Any thoughts on my treatments? Sure would appreciate your input.

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Hi toot:
    It's been awhile since I read the literature, but I'm recalling that the studies found that the benefits of pulsed steroids for MS didn't continue beyond about 2 years. So, in that respect, it isn't unexpected that you're noticing a decrease in benefits after being on steroids for years.

It's hard to say much more about what you're noticing because increased energy isn't generally a justifiable use of pulsed steroids. Helping to prevent flares or notable progression is the intention of pulsed steroids, so it sounds like they were successful in doing that.

Steroids aren't known to have any influence in the long-term outcome of MS. From a medical perspective, a point is often reached where the risks start to exceed the benefits. In theory then, if the benefits of the pulsed steroids lasted only about 2 years, but you haven't had any significant changes in 5 years, the question arises of whether Copaxone might be more responsible for that than the steroids. So it could be time to discuss with your neuro whether the steroids are still appropriate in someone who hasn't had relapses or notable progression. It's also probably time for you and your neuro to evaluate whether you're having notable side effects from the steroids and, if you are, whether they're outweighed by any benefits you might have gotten from the steroids.

For example, the side effects of long-terms steroid use include osteoporosis, cataracts, glaucoma and diabetes. Have you been getting annual bone scans to check for osteopenia or osteoporosis? Have you been getting annual eye exams to check for cataracts and glaucoma? Have you been having your blood glucose checked regularly? All of that information is necessary to determine whether pulsed steroids are still appropriate.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to report I saw the doctor on July 16. He was thrilled to tell me my MRI had not changed since last one in 2008 We talked about how I was feeling, my shingles (did I tell you about that? In January a rash broke out on my face--not going away) and what to do next.

Stop the monthly steriods. And get back to regular exercising!! See him in four months unless I have a problem. He also had his nurse call the dermatologist to see if I could get an earlier appointment (Sept 20th too far away). got me in a 9am on July 19th. He said good I was off the steriods and that I was healing, would just take time. Gave me pills for itch and just use a cream.

So I'll just keep a "journal" of how I'm feeling and hope all goes well

Redwings, thanks for your for your info.

Toot
      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
      Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Working...
      X