I love the Avonex Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the Avonex Pen

I can't believe it's made such a difference, but it has. I used to need my wife to give me the injection and the package and the needle looked so evil.

Now, it's this great, colorful contraption that let's me take my shot on my own time without ice, without drama.

thank you Avonex!

I love it too-no more needle anxiety. Just having trouble pressing the button-sometimes I need my husband to take over. I took a used one apart last week to look at the mechanism-it's a long spring when it's out. Will see if sustained pressure will activate it. Right now, I keep pressing harder and harder-when it doesn't snap, I get him to take over. I'm scared that if I squeeze to my limit, it might sort of skid. I've been able to do 4 out of 7 myself. As you said though, I'm so happy with the pen. I've even thinking now that when BG 12 is available, if the efficacy is the same, I might stick with the pen. Two months ago, I wouldn't have believed I could say something like that. Depends on how many pills to take, etc. One shot a week, I can remember. Several pills a day, that's iffy...

Comment

I don't have needle anxiety (although I have much sympathy for those of you who do!) but the pen is all but completely painless, which surprised me. I was worried about IM shots after Rebif/Copaxone injection pain, but there is nothing. I don't really even notice it going in.

Comment

Originally posted by bbelaine View Post
        I love it too-no more needle anxiety. Just having trouble pressing the button-sometimes I need my husband to take over. I took a used one apart last week to look at the mechanism-it's a long spring when it's out. Will see if sustained pressure will activate it. Right now, I keep pressing harder and harder-when it doesn't snap, I get him to take over. I'm scared that if I squeeze to my limit, it might sort of skid. I've been able to do 4 out of 7 myself. As you said though, I'm so happy with the pen. I've even thinking now that when BG 12 is available, if the efficacy is the same, I might stick with the pen. Two months ago, I wouldn't have believed I could say something like that. Depends on how many pills to take, etc. One shot a week, I can remember. Several pills a day, that's iffy...

I took one apart too As for getting the thing to go off, there are two presses - pressing the unit onto your flesh releases a switch. You then need to press the button.

You may be pressing with the button, but that can make the situation where someone's trying to unlock the door while you're pulling the handle.

To release the trigger, you have to push down witht he body of the tube. Once you hear that click, then press the button. 1st tube, 2nd button. Give that a try!

Comment

YAY!

Fully agree with you - if this had existed 5 years ago, I would've started treatment when I was diagnosed, lol. Live & learn.
          Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
          UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

So much easier today

Just did it and it went so smoothly-I knew I had to unlock it but think I was trying to do both with one motion. This time I did the unlock bit holding the pen with both hands (one hand on the steady part, the other on the movable part) until it clicked (stayed away from the blue button) then I kept the pen against my leg with the hand on the lower steady part, pushed the button, and SNAP, right in. Thanks for you help.

Comment

Same here! So easy to use and for anyone who gets anxiety over sticking themselves with a needle, this completely eliminated it for me! No stress at all! I don't even hesitate to inject myself with the pen.
              Diagnosed: May 2012
              Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
              Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Originally posted by Westgrl View Post
                Same here! So easy to use and for anyone who gets anxiety over sticking themselves with a needle, this completely eliminated it for me! No stress at all! I don't even hesitate to inject myself with the pen.
                This is great to know!! I was on Avonex(shot) and now I'm on Tysabri. If I need to go back to Avonex, I'm glad to hear that the pen is easier!

Comment

Working...
                X