Provigil: latest generic settlement news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provigil: latest generic settlement news

I have been reading on the investment websites that Teva and Mylan have reached an agreement in court over modafinil. Mylan will be selling a generic modafinil as of August 10. So now there are TWO pharms selling the generic. Maybe the cost will be coming down? I wonder if this means Medicare might be more inclined to cover the drug for MS-related fatigue.

Well this is good news. I did notice that since I fell into the dreaded donut hole, instead of paying $1200 for it, it was $235 for a 30 day supply. Maybe it will come down even more.

Comment

I am so confused by this, Ellanor. I was so excited to getting Medicare and purchased a very good drug plan. All so I could get Provigil. My neuro submitted the script and the thing got denied. We were told that the FDA no longer approves this for MS-related fatigue. My neuro told me she has had over ten rejections for it this week. I am so happy for you that you are still getting it. I am going to try an appeal. Wish me luck.

Comment

I have a Medicare Advantage plan...Bravo Health. My neuro has to get it approved, but they will cover it. I know how important this drug is to me and it makes me angry when I hear people can't get it. As it is, I have to take 1/2 of a dose to make it stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapdancer View Post
          We were told that the FDA no longer approves this for MS-related fatigue.
          The FDA has never approved Provigil for MS-related fatigue; the manufacturer apparently never sought approval for that purpose. It sounds like it was Medicare that stopped coverage of Provigil for off-label uses. Hopefully, the price of the generic will come down enough that insurers won't be so quick to deny it for off-label uses.

Comment

Its not just Medicare that doesn't approve it. I have Blue Care Network and after being on it for over 5 years they have denied it. It was the best thing that I ever tried.
            Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

After being on Provigal for several yrs. I've now been denied approval for a refill. So not happy about fighting my insurance,as I'm also fighting for approval Gilenya. After a sever injection site reaction to my Rebif after 12yrs, my neuro wants Gilenya,Just can't win!!
              nona Judy

Comment

I to am on medicare but thank God i was able to deny there drug plan cause i have tri care for life as being a combat vet .... its basically the same as medicare but i they dont deny me anything, heck they even flipped for a 175000 dollar plasmapherises bill when my blue cross/blueshield denied....

Comment

Originally posted by lovejoy View Post
                  I to am on medicare but thank God i was able to deny there drug plan cause i have tri care for life as being a combat vet .... its basically the same as medicare but i they dont deny me anything, heck they even flipped for a 175000 dollar plasmapherises bill when my blue cross/blueshield denied....
                  I'm the wife of a combat vet.My husband was a 22yr.Army vet. I also have medicare & Tricare,just be prepared you never know when they will deny you something.
                  God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

provigil information

Hello,
                    I just signed up to reply to this post. I do not have MS but my Aunt does and I know how life is for her. I was researching Provigil. I was on it in the past and Bravo health made it harder to get. I went off it and I have not been the same since. Basically my last doc did not want to be bothered with the paperwork. So much for wanting to be in a helping profession right? I now have a great doctor and he is willing to help me battle Bravo. so I went into research mode and here's what I found. I tried to post a link but for some reason I cant but I found a Bravo form last dated 2011 which reads: All FDA- approved indications not otherwise exluded from part D. Coverage is provided for the off-label use of idiopathic hypersomnolence and depression associated with fatigue and/or sleepiness. The other side reads: Coverage is provided for depression associated with fatigue and/or sleepiness when the patient is receiving antidepressant therapy.

This looks like it is in the formulary but I have not found it in mine. It's on a document that lists all the meds that require pre-authorization.
                    If nothing is stated about MS why specify if they wont cover it for anything related to it? My aunt is getting put through the ringer as if MS is not a real disease. It really makes me mad and I hope I can help someone here at LEAST fight this crappy UN-surance company!!!
                    Basically this is why I was on it to begin with. I can't sleep and I have severe pain from Degenerative disc disease. the lack of sleep causes severe depression. I thought maybe if some of you could have your docs use the company's own wording it might help. I'm going to do it because provigil is a life saver for me and like I said...ever since I went off it I have been pretty much non-functioning.
                    Oh...there is also a SPECIFIC FORM that Bravo has for Provigil coverage determination. I don't trust them to send it to my doc so i am printing it out for him. I hope this helps someone. I really wish I could link to them. The specific form is a PDF and it is called Provigil Coverage Determination

Comment

Originally posted by webbles 989898 View Post
                      Its not just Medicare that doesn't approve it. I have Blue Care Network and after being on it for over 5 years they have denied it. It was the best thing that I ever tried.
                      Now, that scares me. I have been on it for quite awhile, as well, and I'm on Blue Care Traditional. They did cut back on how MUCH I could get (I had been taking large doses 2x/day by rx). I just decided (since I am getting over a flare, anyway, to cut them in half so I can rest better when I need to do so). I hope I don't lose this particular aid to managing my fatigue.

Comment

its kinda of funny but not, cause of having triple coverage with insurance i pay next to nothing for my drugs, but i see the cost of them my 30 day of provigal 200mg 3x a day costs 2100 which i pay 0 then since it went generic the bill sas it costs 3200. i still pay 0 but why does the generic cost more ? Pharma is big money its all about the politics involved, just read the other day that Betaserone does nothing for you.... how about a refund to all those who got dooped just saying

Comment

It will be interesting to see how quickly after Aug. 10 the cost will start coming down. Doesn't help those of us whose scripts have been denied though.

Comment

Working...
                          X