A Little Help From My Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Little Help From My Friends

Hi everyone, I hope life is good for each of you today. I need some input. I take avonex for my RRMS. I still have pretty significant side effects from it and have been on it for nearly 1 year. My question is, if I am already feeling sick(swollen glands, fvr, achey) should I wait to give myself the shot or just go ahead w/ it and feel like crap all at one? Sorry for the negativity and poor punctuation but I am feeling pretty grumpy, tired and apathetic right now. And frustrated!!!! DID I MENTION FRUSTRATED!!!!! Thanks for letting me vent!

Welcome to the pin cushion club!

I've been self-injecting Avonex for 15 years (started 3 years after my dx back then there were no DMDs). Sometimes I still get bad flu-like side effects, too.

I'm no "expert" but I've always been told that keeping to your weekly schedule is important. Since it's only once a week, you can alternate days without much trouble but be sure to keep 48 hours between injections. IMHO, I say "stick with it" (pun intended ).

Best of luck!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

It's a good question. I've waited a day. I'm sure you can wait 1 or 2 days, but do check with your doctor.

Also, my story may help:

1) It took 2 years before I really felt I had the symptoms go away, so it can still get better.

2) Even though they say to take it before bed, for me it's best to take it as early as possible in the morning.

With the pen, I will wakeup tomorrow and inject. Then I wait until my headache first appears and then I start taking alleve. Taking before never helped me, since it takes 6 hours to start.

After I take my shot, I go to the gym and do my shopping. By the time the symptoms kick in, I've got all my stuff done and can lie down as needed.

Comment

Thank you so much, Big A! I was so at my wits end yesterday. I am sick w/ the flu or something. I have all the fun symptoms. I decided to take my shot and be sick all at once.
        Your story and strategy helps so much!

Comment

I'm going to bump this thread - so it has been three months since I started Avonex. At the beginning we were best friends I didn't mind doing the self injections. But then Avonex is like that friend that wants to borrow a few bucks here and one day - it's like "Avonex, you're making me stay up all night and sleep all day."

I see my neuro on Friday and I'm thinking of asking what other options there are. I literally feel drained the entire weekend (I take my injection on Thursday evening). Between the hair loss, fatigue and insomnia - I know it could be worse.

I, too, am frustrated because everything is still so new (diagnosed in March) and if it's one thing I do not like - it's not being able to control what is going on with my body. I've just looked at the other therapies and it's finally hitting me that A, B, C drug help but it's like choosing what side effect you want.

Apologies for being venty.
          “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
          ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
          X