No announcement yet.

Copaxone reaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GiGi, I have been on Copaxone for 11 years. I had my first IPIR in year 4. I was never forewarned of the possibility of this severe reaction. It started immediately after injection...thus "Immediate Post Injection Reaction". First the injection site was extremely painful followed by hotness rising through by body from my legs to the top of my heat, chest tightness, trouble breathing, sweats, stomach cramps and a very loose bowel movement...all in the first minute. It did feel like a heart attack...I think...but my first thought was that it was an allergic reaction to Copaxone.

My husband called 911 and like someone else mentioned the symptoms were subsiding by the time I reached the ER. ER Dr gave me a shot of benadryl after my EKG was normal and looked up Copaxone reactions and identified that it was and IPIR.

I have had a few subsequent episodes, but definitely not as intense. The best thing to do is remain calm, note that if the symptoms happen immediately following injection then it is most unlikely to be a heart attack or anything serious and it will pass in about 15 minutes.

The statistics show that this only happens in 10% of Copaxone users and that in the majority of people who experience IPIR it doesn't re-occur...guess I'm special!

Good luck!
    Angela Dx RRMS 7/2001; Copaxone 9/2001

Comment

Working...
    X