HELP... stomach issues after IV steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP... stomach issues after IV steroids

I was in hospital for IV steroids and came home on Tuesday. I'm doing the prednisone taper and having major issues with my stomach. I've taken prednisone before for my asthma and have never felt like this. In the hospital for the 5 days I didn't have any stomach issues... now I can't get it to stop.

I feel like I need to vomit... while I'm eating I feel fine... as soon as I stop the heavy feeling comes back. I took the anti-naseau meds they gave me and it does nothing... I've tried eating different foods, I've been drinking so much water I have to stay near the bathroom and I've tried hot tea, cold tea, ginger ale.... everything. I have 4 more days of the taper. Is this from the IV steroids??

Has this happened to anyone before? What did you do? Any help is greatly appreciated..!!!!
    dx June 2012
    Copaxone

I had this happen after being hospitalized for IV steroids/bad flare...it was when I started tapering. It was almost constant nausea (no actual puking) and feeling like hell. It lasted for 3 weeks. I attributed it steroid withdrawal symptoms as I was checked out at my doc's to make sure I hadn't picked up a weird bug in the hospital or developed diverticulitis.

I'd call the doc, let them know what's going on. They can prescribe anti-nausea medication (it helps a bit), and make sure you eat light, easy to digest meals as crashing blood sugar won't help you feel better...hope it goes away soon, nausea is MISERABLE.
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Im not sure what anti nausea meds they gave you but my Dr recommends I take Prilosec or some other kind of antacid before, during, and after steroid treatment. The roids are rough on the tummy!

I notice that if I am VERY careful about my salt intake and get LOTS of fluids (no gatorade, I prefer Ginger Ale), then the stomach issues arent as bad. I also eat constantly, somaybe that helps

The dose could be very different than what you get for asthma as well. Even my pharmacist did a triple-take whenthey filled the Rx for my last round. It's a lot.

Comment

Antacid...

The steroids can eat your stomach up so a good old antacid should help you. It might take a day or 2 for you to notice a change but I would say thats your problem. Plus it won't hurt you to try it as long as you don't take any meds that would affect it. Just ask you pharm. they have your pills on record and should know.

isamadjul
        (allyson)
        DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Working...
        X