Reducing the Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing the Red

I've been on the full dose of Betaseron for just over week - and up until the full dose injection site reactions have been slight and hardly noticeable.

Since the full dose though - OMG

The redness at the site is shocking! Wow. It doesn't show up until many hours after the injection.

Has anyone had success in reducing the redness? Or the size of the injection site reaction?

It's only slightly tender to the touch - it's just so angry looking and lasts for a very very long time (more than a week)

I was expecting redness - just not quite the rather large area it takes up.

Thanks for the help.

They stay a loooong time. On the bright side you CAN tell where you've injected the past few weeks. If you want to call it bright anyhow. lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway I used an ice pack on them. After you take the needle out, push down on the injection site with a clean cotton ball. After all bleeding is stopped, if any, then wash the area with warm soapy water and then a light coat of lotion before bed. Those are the only tricks I know.

Good luck!

Comment

Variable redness

Just realized I've been on Beta for 4 years this month. So here's my experience:

I second the advice about the cotton ball. But don't just press. Massage around the area. This helps distribute the medication a little. I think I'd heard 30 seconds or so is a good amount of time. I'd say I do it on the spot with the cotton ball, but also about a 1-inch diameter around it.

I've never tried the cold compress, so no words on that.

I'll tell you that I don't get a red spot every time. And it is variable - for a while, I got them on my legs every single time, but not at all on my arms. Now sometimes I'll get them on my arms, but the legs are better than they were.

I asked my dermatologist, and he suggested hydrocortisone cream when it forms a bump, or a red spot. I do believe the Beta nurse said not to put anything on immediately, though. Usually I'd get the red bump about 36-48 hours after the shot.

When the ones on my legs weren't responding to the hydrocortisone (even prescription-strength), my neurologist prescribed a slightly stronger steroid cream.

I got a red lump on my stomach a couple months ago, and that made me realize that I'd not really had any at all for a while. The ones on my legs had been so bad a while back that I thought I'd never be able to wear shorts again, but I bought several pair last month.

So take heart - just because you had one reaction doesn't mean you'll have them every time, or forever.

Comment

Thanks for the laugh.

I do the massage thing with the cotton ball. I don't get bumps yet... but I do get this massive red area that's quite shocking in size (Shocking to me)

It's almost like I can see exactly where Beta spread after the injection before it was absorbed... I also get a bruised like tenderness a day or so later... nothing I'm too concerned about because it's consistent now.

My Beta nurse keep documenting these as adverse reactions. I think it's just the way my body is reacting right now. The flu symptoms are much better.

Well I always thought giraffes were just lovely creatures... so I guess this is my way of mimicking them

Comment

I will start Beta later this month. I read that arnica gel will take bruising and swelling down at injection sites. I asked my Beta nurse, and she said she advises all her patients to get some, and use along with the Benedryl or hydrocortozone cream.

I ordered mine off of Amazon, about $7. GNC online had it as well, so maybe it's at the stores too. I plan to use both, massage with the cotton ball, and add ice. Can't hurt!!

Good luck.
          Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
          Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
          dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

Ooooh thank you for the arnica gel recommendation !!! I'll give that a try!

Comment

I didn't get much redness until after several months, and then mostly on my left stomach and left leg; only a bit on the right side, and not much at all on my butt. (I don't inject my arms.) When the injection stings a bit, I seem to get reddish spots. Might it be there is a little fluid in the needle when I inject in those case? Do I not inject deep enough? Do I hit the muscle? Don't know. The spots are not "alarming" and fade away over 2 weeks or so. I haven't tried any of the suggestions to reduce them.

Comment

I haven't seen any raspberrys in a while, like over a year or so. (I'm looking at starting Year 4 in the Fall)
                I think a lot of it is that we develop an overall tollerance after a while.
                We also tend to get better at doing the actual shot with more practice, maybe that helps?

Comment

Working...
                X