Needle Fatigue- Already :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Fatigue- Already :(

I’ve been on Copaxone since January 12th 2012. It’s only been 6 months and maybe this is a little whiny… but… I am TIRED of taking these shots. It’s getting depressing.

I am handling them much better now, have figured out what gives me welts and what doesn’t. The fact is I am young, busy, and not into stabbing myself so I make plenty of excuses about why I don’t have time to take the shot or why I “forgot”. The crappy part is- I think the Cop is working!

I haven’t had a relapse and I was cycling in and out of relapses every couple months or so. My neuro is “reservedly pleased” pending the results of the MRI that I’ll get in Sept. I probably skipped about 15 shots in June. That’s terrible and I know the Cop won’t work if I don’t take it, but for some reason I am just being a big fat baby about this. I am not usually a whiny type, not afraid of hard work or hardship, and routinely face rough situations with perseverance and determination so I can’t really explain why I have fallen apart over this. But I have.

I read an article recently on how to battle needle fatigue and the suggestions seemed… silly to me. Play nice music during, drink a glass of wine during, etc. I am busy and on the go and don’t have time to set up a zen-like spa area every morning. I had hoped to read some practical tips from busy working people on how they deal with the daily needle date. It would be great if I could have someone do the shots for me sometimes but that’s not in my cards.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening. I don’t know what I would do without this place. No one else really seems to understand.

Hi newbie! I hear you! I was on Cop for about 5 yrs., was still working and leading a very busy life. I understand the needle fatigue. Do you have someone living with or near you who can give you your shot on those times when you just can't (for whatever reason)?

I had my dh, my sil, and my nurse neighbor all help me during these times. I've heard of some going to their pcp and having a nurse do them, but that might not be an option for you as it sounds like you already have a busy life. I always took my shot in the evenings after dinner and rewarded myself with a piece or two of dark chocolate! It sat there in front of me and since I LOVE chocolate, it was in my face saying "Ok, but not until after the shot!"

The good news (& not crappy news ) is that it's working for you!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Bet that was a load off!

Well I havent reached the fatigue stage yet because I just started C on Juns 24th. Before starting C I was on Avonex for 10mths. Anyway, as for me Iam 36 with 3 young kids and I usually just do my injection in the middle of my commerical time.

I am always busy in the house or at work, so when I get to FINALLY sit dont in my room I'll usually take out the injection so that its room temp, then if Iam looking at one of my fav shows..ie Americas got Talent, So yo uthink you can dance etc... then I'll just inject in between tv breaks. I guess this injection isnt so bad for me because Avonex was HORIFFIC!!! (for me).

But since you sad it seems to be working, that should really give you the push to keep going. Yeah we have to take these meds to hopefully help us maintain our "normal lives" and yes it can suck, but we have to weigh the odds

So just tell yourself that YES Iam on Copaxone, Yes I have to take it every freakin day, and YES MS sucks. But thank goodness there are things available o help with this MonSter.

Comment

I'm pretty sure everyone on the board can relate to your needle fatigue issues! I know I can. I am seriously thinking about switching from Copaxone to Rebif .. just for this reason. My neuro suggested the change. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I like the suggestion of a glass of wine .. but with all the other meds I take .. I had to give up all kinds of alcohol!!

Got to find what works for you as an individual and run with it (or walk, or hobble, or roll ... )

Take care.

Comment

Im so glad Im not the only one but I do feel like a brat for complaining after only 6 months. I hear people say theyve been on it for years and never missed a shot.

I think I may try doing it at night. Maybe saying I cant go to bed until Ive done it will work better. I do love going to bed

On a side note: what is a "dh"? Ive seen it and cant figure it out!

Comment

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post

On a side note: what is a "dh"? Ive seen it and cant figure it out!
            dh means dear husband - whether he is dear or not

If you go to General Questions and Answers and see the Sticky notes above, there is one called "abbreviations and acronyms" It will explain them all!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Newbie, don't feel like a brat for complaining. As if MS isn't bad enough, then we have to inject everyday or inject something that makes us feel like garbage... but it's still better than the alternative, I don't want to take that chance.

I've been on Copax since 2007 and it has benefitted me greatly. Was on Rebif before that. Have I missed shots? You bet! Once in a while I rebel and skip a few in a row but then I get scared and go back to them.

I don't make a big routine.out of it, I literally sterilize, manually inject, ice, Benadryl cream in less than 1 minute. Sometimes I do them standing up if I need to be quick. Personally, I did not like the big ritual of the shot, just inject and then get on with my day.

Don't feel badly about your needle rebellion, you will find your own style of injecting that fits into your busy life. I hope you have the success with Copax that I have had.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thansk Cat Mom and everyone. I think you have something there about the routine. I hate all the "to-do" about it. Today, I walked outisde (into 100 deg temps, purposely) waited about 45 seconds for my eye to start throbbing, then foudn my motivation to take that shot!

Cleaned, injected, and wrapped it up quickly. That ON throb is a big motivator- I will take advantage of it during my "whiny bout" and try to see it as a positive thing!

Comment

I do it at night before bed and find it has become a routine like brushing my teeth. I have been on Copaxone for 7 1/2 years.

To me it is about fighting this miserable disease. The injections are my weapon and they give me power. Although I would love not to need medicine that is a moot point and I am thankful that we actually have options now because in the past there was nothing available.

Although we will never know for certain it really sounds like your health is better since starting Copaxone. Good luck with whatever you decide.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

I just wanted to add that I too have just recently been hesitating and dreading the C shot...I started on 01/20/12!

I have mine set upstairs at my vanity and take the shot right after a shower in the morning, no music or tv, I just do it. I leave a 4 pack out up there at room temp as they can be out 30 days...set everything up before I get in the shower, then it's staring at me on the sink when I get out, before getting dressed, touching make-up or hair!

That's my 'routine' and it seems to be working for me. I like your idea of purposely going out in the warm weather to remember why you are doing this...whatever keeps you motivated.
                    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Working...
                    X