Baclofen pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen pump ?

I had the trial once before they gave me to much Baclofen 50 mg could not get out of bed to see.so now I am going back in for just 25mg to see I wanted to no if it happen to any body else .I really when to get read of this spasticity so I can walk a little better .How did you do if you received the pump would like to no Thank you all

Hi,

I have a pump, and it was a life saver for me. My spasticity was not controlled by oral meds, plus at the dose I needed to take in order to get even a little relief, the baclofen made me very drowsy.

It's not without it's issues, and possible complications, but even with the complications I've had, I would never hesitate to do it again. It has brought me that much relief.

As far as the dose being too much during your first test, you might be really sensitive to the med. I did the 50 mcg test and it was good, but since I've had the pump I've had it increased quite a bit, and now it looks like I'm going to need another good sized bump...but you're getting so much less of the med via the pump, basically 1/1000 of what you take orally, and it hits the exact area that needs the med, so very few side effects.

There's an article/study out called "Intrathecal baclofen in multiple sclerosis: Too little, too late?" At one time it was available in it's entirety, but it only may be available in abstract form now. The point was that sometimes docs don't consider how much spasticity is affecting their patients QOL, and by intervening with a pump, sooner rather than later, they can sometimes preserve mobility.

Some folks on the board have gotten the pump and it does not help them walk, they're still wheelchair bound, but has eased their spasms and pain. I was still mobile, but with a really awful gait when I had it implanted, and with lots of PT, I got back much of my normal walking ability. (I'm sure others will come along to chime in.)

Comment

Working...
    X