Lumbar puncture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumbar puncture

I am having a lumbar puncture on friday. Or at least i'm scheduled to. But, since i am still suffering from quite a bit of pain, the doctor is considering rescheduling. I guess this is sympathetic on the doctor's part? Is a lumbar puncture that bad?

I would rather just get it over with.

Has this happened to anyone else?

The only reason I could think of he'd cancel is if you are in so much pain you couldn't lay still enough for the procedure. It is quite important to lay very still. I'd call his office to ask him why is was posponed.

It is not a painful procedure, I found it to be "creepy" and I had to keep my mind off of what was happening. It didn't take over 5 minutes, and then it's over! Good luck to you.
    Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
    Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
    dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

I had my lumbar puncture done at the hospital and didn't find it painful. The hospital I used however did use an ultrasound/xray type machine to specifically locate where to place the needle. They had me lay face down over a triangle shaped wedge rather than curling into the fetal position on my side. There was a slight pinch from the numbing shot and then the lumbar puncture was over before I knew it. I actually thought they were just getting started when it was over.

A couple of things I learned. I hydrated quite a bit before the procedure, especially with caffeinated soda. The neuro resident told me that the caffeine could help reduce any possible headache. I also made sure to use the bathroom right down there in the lumbar puncture room just before the procedure.

Once they were done, I followed orders and laid down flat for over 4 hours (actually closer to 5-6 hours). I drank another diet pepsi and water. About 2.5 hours into my laying flat, I had to get up to the bathroom and then went straight back to laying flat on the bed.

Once I was discharged, we went staight home and I went to bed laying flat on my back (no pillow) for the rest of the night. Plus, I made sure to drink extra water and caffeinated beverages for a few days after. I had no headaches, backaches or other side effects.

Comment

nah..i didnt find it painful..awkward and weird maybe but it didnt hurt....i was annoyed that i couldnt do any heavy lifting for 3 days after because of the hole..but other than that it wasnt so bad...i was really anxious beforehand....the most uncomfortable part of it was having to stay very still....and maybe the table....the anesthesia going in felt like a pinch but other than that it wasnt HORRIBLE...

good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X