Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just started Rebif and wellbutrin and feeling really weird...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just started Rebif and wellbutrin and feeling really weird...

I am a female, 34 and I just recently got diagnosed with ms... they were testing for devics but looks like ms...
    I just started using rebif and wellbutrin last friday and I have felt like crap since... the aches, fatigue, constipation and trouble sleeping, I can deal with but I have noticed my head if foggier than ever.. I keep forgetting small details like I am stoned all day long... I feel like a turtle when I walk around and I am stiffer than before.. I know I need to start swimming but its so hard with this constant fatigue.. The mental fatigue has gotten a hold on me to...
    I am wondering if I am just being hyper sensitive, is this usual in the beginning and which meds or the combo is just not right for me? I emailed my dr. but I'd like to hear from some experienced msers, what you think?
    thanks!

Sorry but it could be so many things, I've been on rebif for just over a year and I went from the runs my whole life to constipation so something not used to that you can guess the pain. The wellbutrin will screw with your sleep big time, I'm supposed to be on 150 two times a day and can't sleep with the second dose, one thing it does is give you energy and it does do that, when I take the second dose I always have to use ambien, drives my doc crazy I only take one as it has been the most effective on my depression.

The only other side effect from Rebif is fever the next day, thank god for Aleve and Ibuprofen. Myself I would stop the Wellbutrin for a week and see if that helps, probally better to stop that than the Rebif just to weed out what is doing what.

The Fatigue for me is the worst symptom of MS I have to deal with, so there may be a chance that you are having a Flare, but who knows as this is just one wierd *** disease. Well that is my two cents maybe someone will have something better to add and I do hope things get better for you

Comment

I felt like that the first 2 weeks on Betaseron. I was on Rebif 3 years ago - I wish I could remember what the beginning period was like.

I haven't been on wellbutrin so I can't speak to that.

I was really worried that if that brain fog didn't improve I would be in big trouble. Now in week 4 of treatment on Betaseron, I am starting to get my brain back for longer periods of time, and the really awful flu like stuff is starting to back off.

Hang in there. It may take some time. I couldn't tolerate Rebif after 2 years on it. I wish you luck.

Comment

Intrinsicecho: I will start Betaseron at the end of July. I was on Rebif like you were from 2008 until mid 2009. I remember the flu like symptoms, but I can't recall how severe they were!

The only thing about Betaseron that I could add to your list of choices is: It is every other day, and Rebif is 3 times a week. Copaxone is every day, Avonex is once a week. Avonex goes into the muscle, the others go right under the skin. Rebif would burn and sting, and comes in prefilled syringes. The Betaseron has to be mixed, which seems like a hassle, but I'm told it won't sting because it won't have the acidic ingredient Rebif has. The needle for Beta is the smallest out there, but I really don't know if it's enough to make a difference. All come with autoinjectors. I always used the autoinjector with Rebif, but I'd like to get brave enough some day to manually inject.

Good luck to you and whatever decision you make. The good part is, if you start on one and you don't care for it (side effects, frequency of injections, etc.), you can stop and start a different one. So you don't have to feel pressured to know you have to make a long time decision right this second.
        Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
        Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
        dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

Originally posted by dck696 View Post
          Intrinsicecho: I will start Betaseron at the end of July. I was on Rebif like you were from 2008 until mid 2009. I remember the flu like symptoms, but I can't recall how severe they were!
          The mixing isn't really a problem. It just takes getting used to and getting comfortable with.

As for sting - I honestly find most shots of Betaseron to not hurt anywhere near what Rebif did. I have only had one shot so far go wrong (for pain anyway) - the rest have been pretty painless.

I've been on Copaxone - excessive site reactions not to mention numerous of those IPIRs (scary!!!)

Rebif - I couldn't handle the burn and it wasn't effective at all. (which is why Avonex was ruled out by my neuro)

Gilenya - The increase of infections and no discernable effect on disease progression + the numerous other risks after 3 years (I was in one of the studies) I had to call it quits.

I am not brave enough for Tysabri.

that leaves Betaseron. Now that it's not wiping me out as much I can hope that maybe the disease can be distracted by the shot and back off for a bit.

Comment

The only thing about Betaseron that I could add to your list of choices is: It is every other day, and Rebif is 3 times a week. Copaxone is every day, Avonex is once a week. Avonex goes into the muscle, the others go right under the skin. Rebif would burn and sting, and comes in prefilled syringes. The Betaseron has to be mixed, which seems like a hassle, but I'm told it won't sting because it won't have the acidic ingredient Rebif has. The needle for Beta is the smallest out there, but I really don't know if it's enough to make a difference. All come with autoinjectors. I always used the autoinjector with Rebif, but I'd like to get brave enough some day to manually inject.

Good luck to you and whatever decision you make. The good part is, if you start on one and you don't care for it (side effects, frequency of injections, etc.), you can stop and start a different one. So you don't have to feel pressured to know you have to make a long time decision right this second.
            Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
            Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
            dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

Working...
            X