LDN-Timing and dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDN-Timing and dosage

Has anyone taking LDN experimented with the timing of taking the med? I've read about splitting the dose every 12 hours. Has anyone done that? and what if anything did you notice?

I tend to feel like I have the most energy in the early evening, about 20 hours after I take it. It would be nice to have that feeling in the morning or early afternoon.

Just wondering if timing would help that....
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

I haven't taken LDN for a while, but as I remember it has to be taken at bedtime and all at one time for optimum effectiveness. I took 1.75 mg. which Dr. Bihari said was the minimum effective dose. I did get a burst of energy in the morning.

Good luck with your LDN adventure!

Comment

Hi opiegirl,
      I have been on LDN for about 3 years. I started at 3mg once daily before bed and graduated up to 4.5mg, the dosage I take currently. The capsule is powder in a shell casing. I don't know how I would accurately split a dose, or even if I would want to. LDN is low dose naltrexone. The standard dose for naltrexone is 50 mg for counteracting a heroin high.
      It did occur to me that I could probably use the dose a second time, 12 hours between doses. But since the drug does something to modulate endorphins, and I detest that my body is forcing me to play with my body's chemistry. I will do everything I can to increase my endorphins by natural means.

Comment

I could see taking a 1.5mg LDN capsule every 12 hours and it still working to create the blockade of the Pituitary Gland. One question would be is when is the best time to blockade the Pituitary Gland and the general opinion is endorphins are best produced at night while you're asleep.

Another is how your body reacts to taking LDN while awake.

Third, will your body acclimate to the blockade when LDN is taken only 12 hours apart versus 24?

If you're just looking for an energy boost to carry you through the day I'd recommend taking a Malic Acid + Magnesium supplement before lunch and dinner. Malic Acid complements the LDN and works along the same lines as the new Biogen BG12 drug.

Comment

My gyno said it doesn't matter what time you take it and he recommended taking it in the morning. There is a debate about what time to take LDN.

From what I had read, I take it before bed. All at once (I never heard of splitting dosage). 3.5 mg.
          I have more energy in the morning, which is nice, but I still get worn out between 5pm and 7pm.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

I am at 3.0 which I take in two 1.5 capsules. I was up to 4.5, but felt like that was too much; my legs were really achy. I still take the full dose at bedtime. I don't feel bad in the morning, I just feel best at night before I'm ready to take the medicine again.

I am going to take Knuckle's suggestion and add the Malic Acid and see how it might help. I do take magnesium, but only before bed.

Will you guys try out the BG12 when in becomes available or stick with the LDN?
            Opiegirl, Dx 1991
            Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
            Estriol 9/12-present
            Still Hopeful.

Comment

I'll stick with LDN. I'd like to see a trial of LDN vs. BG12. For that matter, I'd like to see a trial of Malic Acid or Fumaric Acid vs. BG12. I'd bet efficacy is close.

It's obscene what Biogen will charge for BG12 (dimethyl fumarate) in the US compared to the same drug in Europe (Fumaderm). Our dysfunctional healthcare system in action. We, and our insurance plans, are suckers to big pharma.

Biogen has just re-purposed a refined product already used for Psoriasis in Europe, Dimethyl Fumarate, you can't buy over-the-shelf. Dimethyl Fumarate, "fumaric acid esters" is not too far removed from Fumaric Acid, which you can buy over-the-shelf, for $30, without a prescription. Same stuff Dermatologists use to treat Psoriasis.

Google: fumaric acid multiple sclerosis

The trial results of BG12 validates the use of Fumaric Acid, Malic Acid, Apple Cider Vinegar, LDN, as MS and autoimmune treatments. Go a little further with this line of thinking and we're putting into question long-held assumptions of immuno-suppression as autoimmune disease treatments for conditions of Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Crohns, etc., even Cancer.

There are all these people who report success for these same conditions using LDN, including cancer. LDN has been clinically trialed in Crohn's with positive results. People with cancer, given no hope by their Oncologists, taking LDN and getting better, going into remission.

If this is true, that you are better-off treating these conditions with a drug that increases Endorphin production, supports the body's immune system, the implications to modern medicine are far-reaching.

Everyone should ask their neuro to explain how BG12 works. I'll bet few will know and most, including Biogen, will hide behind some hocus-pocus mystery of action.

BG12 produces Endorphins. Endorphins regulate the immune system by modulating T-cell proliferation. Dimethyl Fumarate, Fumaric Acid, Malic Acid, Apple Cider Vinegar, Spices, Sunshine, Vitamin D, Exercise, LDN, all found effective in managing MS and autoimmune disease, all produce Endorphins.

Comment

Working...
              X