my first shot of the avonex pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first shot of the avonex pen

I just gave myself my first shot using the avonex pen. I thought I'd share my experience. I read the instructions. I watched some people do it on youtube (not a good idea, go to the avonex website instead). I've injected myself with the avonex needle a total of 20 times with the regular needle. I got used to doing my own needle injection but I was scared to do the pen.

With the old needle, I felt more in control. With the needle I could inject it slowly and pull back if I really felt the need (although I never pulled it out prematurely). It took me a long time to get brave enough to press the blue button. I was scared of the surprise jab of the needle. Not knowing how deep it would go or how much it would hurt. I wondered how hard must I press it into my chubby thigh? I was pressing a big dent into my thigh.

Ugh! I hated this. You must press it hard enough to release the safety. If you don't press it hard enough, you can't press the button. And you have to press the blue button pretty hard. It was scary & frustrating, pressing, denting my thigh, pressing, not hard enough, press harder, try again, press again. Snap!

Finally after much hesitation, I finally did it! And, I'm happy to report, it was painless. The needle doesn't go as deep. I think the needle is only half as long. From my past experience, I know the strange sensation of when the medicine is dispensed into the thigh. With the pen, that sensation was less noticeable. I counted to 15. There was a tiny, tiny drop of blood after I pulled the needle out. I capped the needle. Easy breezy. Anyone who is feeling nervous about it, don't sweat it. It didn't hurt. This is way better than the old method. Good luck and be well!

When the nurse was here to do my training, I did the same thing, pushing the pen down so hard. I couldn't get the button to depress, so I picked the pen off my leg and we talked about it.

The problem was that the blue rectangle hadn't been covered, meaning that the injectors safety was still on. When I put it back on the site, I was able to not press so hard, but to engage the safety, then the shot went fine. Just a tip for those having an issue like I did.

Comment

I'm having trouble with the blue buttton too. I've had the shot four times now, and the button is still had to press. I squeeze and squeeze, two-handed,and eventually (10-15s) later, I get it to work. I'd posted a bit about it a few weeks ago,but there wasn't much response-guess not too many people had started with it at that point.

Last time, I just asked my husband to press it for me. He's a big guy and he found it stiff too. I've got a little exercise ball to see if I can get the hand stronger. I guess they make it that way so that it doesn't accidentally go off. I'll keep working on it, but I do have to add, that compared to the anxiety I experienced prior with the syringe, this is a piece of cake. I jump a little when it eventually goes, but not because it hurts, just startling a bit when you hear the sound. Good luck to you.

Comment

I've been using the Avonex Pen since March and was finding the blue button very hard to press as well. I finally contacted the nurse manager at Biogen who told me to take the shot out of the fridge an hour ahead of time. Since I've started doing that, I haven't found it quite as difficult. But I absolutely have to use both hands.

Comment

I take it out the night before so it has definitely lost it's chill-still very difficult to press though.

Comment

easier each time!

three weeks now and I'm feeling almost like a pro.

Comment

Good for you andi b-i don't even think about it much now-definitely changed days-just when i see my little yellow exercise ball then i think i should practice the squeezing thing!

Comment

Avonex pen

I have the option to start the new auto inject Avonex pen.
                I have been self injecting Avonex for 13 years and use a 5/8 inch needle which I understand is the same as the pen.

My question to users is: Does this device work effectively each time used or has anyone had it NOT inject.
                I would like to use it but it is so new I need feedback on whether it is totally reliable.

The old method I have used for so long I want to make sure I am getting the meds I need consistently.
                What can you tell me?

Comment

The only real issues with the Pen are
                  1) It's supposed to be strictly in the thighs.
                  2) Tends to be a bit stiff to depress the button
                  3) Use caution when expanding the tube as your fingers can slip off the tube and you could poke yourself badly in the finger/hand (I did that last week).

Those are the only real problems that I can see Learides.

Comment

If you're fine, why change?

But you're asking, so there must be some interest.

You can go to your doctor and see a sample that has water in it. You inject it into an orange, or the air.

You can also have only one month's worth sent and test it.

I like it.

Comment

I was finding the button hard to press too so I rang the help line. It was because I was not releasing the safety catch and only released it by accident as pushing and shoving the pen.
                      Look for the safety catch window -a tiny little blue rectangle at one of the joins on the pen. If you have that facing you when you are going to inject you can depress the pen into your thigh enough to make the blue disappear and then very very much easier to push the button.
                      Unfortunately you can not go and find a pen to look for the little rectangle as it only appears AFTER the needle has been put on and the pen extended to un-sheath the needle. If you look then you will find that rectangle and knowing that that has to vanish is the secret.
                      Good luck next time!

Comment

Originally posted by Learides View Post
                        My question to users is: Does this device work effectively each time used or has anyone had it NOT inject.
                        I would like to use it but it is so new I need feedback on whether it is totally reliable.
                        It's more likely to not work because of a user error. In the 4-week study they did for FDA approval, there weren't any device errors, just a few people who didn't follow the right process (taking the needle cover off by hand, etc).

Comment

Working...
                        X