Copaxone injector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone injector

How many injectors have you gone through? It seems like I've had to replace mine several times. And I just can't make myself inject manually.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

-1- I've been on Copaxone for over 2 years.

-2- Never liked the auto-injector.

-3- May I suggest you never become an insulin dependent diabetic. My normal routine calls for 5 insulin shots a day, plus one jab of Copaxone for my MS.

-4- If you can just get past that FIRST manual SHOT, its easy from there. Manual is far better than the auto.

-5- I still remember giving myself my first insulin shot decades ago. I was (past-tense) a real needle weenie!

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I've been on Copaxone just over 6 months and I'm still using the original injector. What kinds of 'failures' are you having?

I do the stomach & thigh shots manually (it really is better, mainly because you can inject real slow) -- you should try it! I use the Autoject for the hips & arms...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

My first autoject lasted two years before the spring stopped springing.
        Second one is fine, but I don't use it much. Manual is better, but there are places that are just plain beyond reach, especially when your fine motor skills are not what they were.

Comment

Ok I love my autoject! So I am curious as to why so many are saying manual is better, does it hurt less or something? Just curious because I may be willing to try manual it is just that when the nurse came out she only taught me the autoject.

Comment

Not really injector info, but a question....how do you tolerate the Copaxone??? Been on it a week and ready to quit. Horrid pain/ice feeling in legs, leg tremors after injections, chest pain, and my fatigue is beyond absurd now - non stop fatigue (some times cannot lift my fork) since I started. I was better before the shots. Did you go through this? Will also
            post on the Med forum...

Lisa
            Lisa

Comment

I always manually injected my Copaxone because I'd heard it was better (more control) and I wasn't particularly afraid of needles...but do whatever feels best to you!

Comment

Originally posted by lisa1014 View Post
                Ok I love my autoject! So I am curious as to why so many are saying manual is better, does it hurt less or something? Just curious because I may be willing to try manual it is just that when the nurse came out she only taught me the autoject.
                I think the biggest advantage of manual injection ois being able to inject real slowly, making for a smaller bump of C under your skin, which hurts just a little less. I also like that it's quick and there's less to remember (ever leave the red cap on the Autoject? ).

Autoject is cool, too - I couldn't inject in my arms or hips without it (DW is waaay needle-phobic).

Lisasberry: that doesn't sound like a typical reaction at all. I'd keep calling SS and your neuro until you have some answers...
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

lisa..
                  the nurse also only showed us (me & my wife) how to do it using the jabber-machine........

My wife also like the manual method better as well. She already had to know how to give me insulin shots and the methods are exactly the same, as both are SC injections.

Mark... RED-CAP... been there done that...oops!

Reactions.... just the sting etc but it faded away mostly over a few weeks. I still sometimes get a little sting, but nothing like when I started a couple years ago.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Hi All

I am a big fan of the Copaxone autoject. I figured out I was needle phobic after 3 months of using Copaxone. Luckily, the original autoject became available a few months later.

That was back in November, 1998. Fast forward a few years..LOL..to 2012. I am still using Copaxone & the autoject.

I guess I have used about 4 or 5 autojects over the years. Shared Solutions says that the autojects should be changed after 3 years. They also suggest you have a back up autoject just in case.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Wow.. I never expected so many responses. Thanks guys.

I ordered a new injector today. The nurse said that they usually last about 3 years. Mine is over 4 years old now. So I guess it's not unusual to wear them out.

I wish I could inject manually. I've tried.. believe me. My hand starts shaking when I try to get the needle close to my skin. Just can't make my mind do it. If you have any hints or secrets please share them.

Thanks again
                      Marti

Comment

By the way...

In 12 years I've never been able to shoot in my arms. It hurts way too much. I'm a small woman and I never know what setting to use. Even after all this time. But anyway, no arm shots for me.

Just exactly how does that setting thing work?? Which way if you're thin?
                        Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                          Just exactly how does that setting thing work?? Which way if you're thin?
                          The autoject setting is the number of millimeters of depth for the needle. So if you have less fat (or thinner skin) you would use a lower number.

From what you've said I would try using a setting 1 or 2 lower than you use for your thighs (if you use 5 on thighs, try 3-4 on arms), and maybe stick to the middle two shot zones where you'll probably have a little more fat. You also want to be careful to use the *back* of your arm and let it hang (arm straight, muscles loose) while you're injecting.

Hope that helps!
                          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

The thinner you are the smaller the number. I adjust different numbers for different parts of my body. The fatter the area the higher the number.

Comment

I've been using my autoject since the end of March with no problems, though I did have Shared Solutions send me a backup injector.

The first few weeks on Copaxone were he**! All the typical symptoms...pain, itching, swelling, welts, etc... After almost 3 months, it's rarely painful. If I get itching at all, it's not horrible and it's usually on my arms. The easiest spots for injections are my stomach and hips. My thighs and arms seem to keep the signs of the injections longer. My thighs get bruise marks that take a couple of weeks to resolve and my arms keep marks for at least a week.

I've resolved to not let MS slow me down, make me self conscious or stop me from wearing my tank tops and shorts in the summer. If someone doesn't like the way my limbs look, they can look elsewhere!

That said, when I have my follow up appt with the neuro next month, I am going to ask about alternative injection sites from the arms/thighs or if there are at least two other sites I can use so that I only inject in the arms/thighs once every other week. We'll see how that conversation goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X