wooo hooo did it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wooo hooo did it...

gave myself my first injection with the Avonex pen. Piece of cake... didn't hurt at all.

Congratulations!

It's a brave new world with Avonex. The first shot used to be very difficult, but now you don't have to get used to sticking yourself.

Good choice and good luck. I hope your "flu-like" symptoms weren't too bad and that the medecine works well for you.

Comment

That's a big step and deserves a hearty congratulations! You said it better though... "Woo-hoo!"
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

absolutely NO side effects

but then I don't always get any, usually just once every few weeks and they are manageable. My husband (a nurse) had been giving me the injections for the past 15 months and I decided that I needed to be a "big girl" and learn to do it with the pen.

I was expecting after trying out the test kit that it would be quite a "punch" when the spring loaded part did the injection. But not so... it went in very gently (much more so than the regular injection with the syringe) and everything went well -- medication delivered correctly according to the directions. The avonex.com website has great instructions (very large so that you can see it well for each step).

Comment

Woo-Hoo is right and congrats to you, andi b! I used to take A years ago and it took me 2 months before I could give myself a shot! My dh was getting quite good at it, but relieved when I was brave enough to do it myself. Hope your journey is a smooth one~~
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I've just started with the pen and I find it much easier (mentally at least) than the syringe.

My only problem is that I have to press really hard on the top button, using both hands. Seems like I'm pressing 10-20 seconds before it clicks and starts.

Do you have any problems with that? All that aside, I'm much happier with the new injection.

Comment

In the UK we have been lucky to have the new pen for quite a while. I too occasionally had problems with pushing down the button initially. Usually this was due to one of two problems.

Either I had not fully pulled out the pen (the bit where the needle cover falls off). I had pulled it far enough to dislodge the cover but it could still be extended a little bit. Or, and more likely, I was not pushing hard enough with the pen on my leg before trying to push the needle.

The thing will not inject unless pressure is exerted on the pen.
              Isn't it great though!!

Comment

I did the third one today and it went in so easily, I wasn't even sure I had done it. With the problem getting the button pushed, I must have turned it around so I couldn't see the window to tell if it was yellow. I just counted to 15 (extra for insurance) and was really pleased when I pulled it out and saw that I had done it. That's 2 out of 3 that were easy (number 2 was a wee bit sore but nothing too bad). No more anxious nights before the morning jags!

Comment

To the OP

Yay! Good for you
                  Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                  UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Avonex Pen

I have been doing my own injections for a year and a half and it does get better! I still have times when I hesitate and I still go thru brusing myself sometimes. I am hoping my insurance provider approves the auto injector soon as I would like to try that. This week I couldn't get the needle in. (i did finally after the third attempt) :-(

Comment

Congratulations!

Congratulations, You did it!! I like you, hardly felt anything. It just get easier as time does on.

Comment

Working...
                      X