Feeling guilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling guilty

I just got back from a fabulous 7 day cruise to FL and the Bahamas. It was fabulous and I felt great the whole time! However, when I returned home I was confronted with my own ability to deny my curcumstances.

I unpacked my little blue Copaxone travel pack and found 7 unused shots. 7. I didn't take one shot the whole time. I didn't take my Gabapentin either (relaced that with a margarita each evening I guess it was a bit of denial, a bit of not wanting to hurt while out and about, and a bit of needle fatigue all coming to a head.

My question, though, is has anyone out there ever skipped their DMDs for so long? Am I at serious risk for relase right now because I took that week off? I am worried but can't help relishing those puncture-free days...

Eh, it's a done deal at this point. I wouldn't worry about it. The only drawback might be if you had side effects when starting C that might come back again. Maybe. Then again, it might just be business as usual.

Glad you enjoyed your vacation, and now it's back to the routine. I wish I could have gone along! How was the heat on the trip? Did it cause any issues for you?
    Sapphire's Gold - If I can't be graceful, at least I'll be entertaining.

Comment

Just get back on your horse again!

First consult with your doctor. I'm glad that you had a marvelous vacation. I would get back on your horse and continue with taking your med. That has happened to me before and I just continued taking my med. It's still in your system, but now you just have to continue. Best advice to give you is always consult with your doctor. You'll learn!

Comment

I admit I've skipped my Avonex shot on vacation, the downside was an increase in side effects when I did the next injection.

I really thought that by now I would have switched to another medication, but my choice has been a good one because I have been able to stick with it for the long term.

If you find yourself skipping on a regular basis, do discuss it with your neuro.

Glad you enjoyed your vacation!

Comment

Argh! I just wrote to you and hit the wrong button and poof it was gone. Anyway, I am happy you had a REAL vacation in every sense of the word! Was it relaxing?

I can't answer your question if not taking your meds will put you into a relapse (one never knows anyway). But I do know if it were me, I'd not put a lot of pressure, guilt and worry into it. I wouldn't want to erase the wonderful memories being on the beautiful seas and sipping margaritas

Just keep those sweet memories alive and get back to your routine with no worries~~ (p.s. I went to Hawaii a few years back and forgot to pack my meds)
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I think people take drug holidays all the time, I doubt that one week off is setting you up for a relapse. But you feel the worry after, so maybe next time you won't.

As for the Gabapentin - I don't know if it's the kind of drug you can't stop suddenly, but as you had no ill effects and it only makes you feel better and has no effect on progresson, that's prob ok too.

Sounds like you had a great time I woudn't worry about it.

Comment

I did have a great time and felt some sympotoms just fade away while I was on the ship. I think stress seriously exacerbates my MS symptoms because as soon as I had my first drink and dip in the pool, I felt like a "normal" person again.

No more numbness. Anywhere. No more tingling. Anywhere. No weakness in my legs (I took many trips up and down 10 flights of stairs with my kiddo and even climbed up a very very tall piece of inflatable water playground equipment). No vertigo, no fatigue, no eye pain, no injection site problems. It was truly a blessing and a welcome reprieve from MS.

I am taking this opportunity to jump into some walking (on my lunch break) and stretching (at night). I was too miserable to think about if before but I started Monday and the good feelings are continuing. I look forward to extending this as long as I can!

I started back on my Copaxone without any undue side effects (I feel lucky about that) and I feel refreshed from the week off and ready to stick myself a few more hundred times I am new to MS and the shots but I can already see what people mean by needle fatigue!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                Just keep those sweet memories alive and get back to your routine with no worries~~ (p.s. I went to Hawaii a few years back and forgot to pack my meds)
                Thanks, this is great advice! (the keeping memories alive part, not the forgetting to pack meds )

Comment

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post
                  I did have a great time and felt some sympotoms just fade away while I was on the ship. I think stress seriously exacerbates my MS symptoms because as soon as I had my first drink and dip in the pool, I felt like a "normal" person again.
                  Yes, I notice my physical symptoms move with my emotions. I think depression and anxiety are missed by a lot of patients and doctors.

Some people would rather suffer than take a pill. It's no shame and might make a huge difference, mentally and physically.

Comment

Glad you are letting go of your guilt and embracing the good feelings !!!
                    I just took a "shot vacation" myself ( was supposed to be two weeks but I let it linger for a month)--- nothing too awful happened ----and I am back on the shot and happy I took the break.
                    I went a little long and I wouldn't recommend a month ---but a week off I would certainly do again if the circumstances were right ( As in a great trip !!!)

Comment

Working...
                    X