Giving yourself Avonex injection in butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving yourself Avonex injection in butt

I've always had my husband give me my Avonex injections in the butt. Seems like fewer side effects than in the arm or thigh. After 16 years he now wants to end our marriage so I'm on my own with the shots. Can't stand giving them to myself in my thigh. Wondered if anyone here does it themselves in the butt and has any tips as to how it may be done. Don't know if I'm coordinated enough to twist around and do it. Thanks for any help.

My marriage also ended after 16 years, a little more than a year ago. Her shots to my arms, once every three weeks, ended months before that. I have been blessed to have others come into my life who are willing and able to inject me. May you be blessed similarly.

In the meantime, you seem like a prime candidate for the Avonex Pen later this spring.

If you search YouTube for "thiagirl1" you will find a two-part video of a backside self-injection, and perhaps you can contact her with questions. However, she was trained by a nurse who is a neighbor of hers, and I would strongly suggest similar in-person training for you. A mistake there has greater downside than mistakes in the legs and arms, which is why biogen won't train for or support backside shots.

Comment

Hi-

I am sorry about your marriage...

As someone has alluded too, the FDA just approved the Avonex pen, might want to call and see if you can be sent one.

As far as the thigh. Since you have been on Avonex for awhile, you might not experience the side effects you use too.

I had HUGE aversions to sticking myself in the thigh. My doc prescribed me EMLA cream. Put it on 90 minutes prior to the shot, wiped it off...whole area was completely numb. Did not feel the needle one bit whatsoever. I got over my phobia quickly and just started using ice after awhile.

Good luck to you--Katie

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your support and information. Looks like the pen was just FDA approved in Feb. That looks like the best thing for me. Will definitely contact my doctor to see if I can be prescribed that.

Comment

i agree with everyone.

The avonex pen will soon help. You might try your thigh again, but you can also get your primary care clinic to give you the injections. Avonex is special this way becase it's an intra-muscular shot, they can bill for it.

You've got about 2-3 months to wait for the pen. Maybe you can visit your doctor once per week until then?

There are lots of you tube videos of women injecting themselves with fertility drugs with even longer needles . You can study those too.

Comment

?????

wow didn't know you could use the butt the nurse that came out and did my training said no butt injections.....so this is new on me.
            Anita

Comment

The nurse told you to avoid that area because of its proximity to the sciatic nerve.

That said, I never rotated with Avonex. Nursing school (in the '70's) taught me to give IM shots...upper, outer quadrant of said butt cheek ). Now you'll have the new device that you can use for IM ( intra-muscular) shots. According to the Avonex people (I called their 1-800#), the device should be available in the USA on May 1, 2012.
              “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
              Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I can't wait for the autoinjector.

Comment

As jazzgirl said, it has to do with the sciatic nerve. As a teen I had a nurse give me a shot in the wrong place in the butt and it was not fun!!

I was on Avonex for 2 years and stopped but now my neuro says if I don't get on something they will no longer see me. So I am going on Avonex again because of the once a week injections. My daughter, who is a nurse, will give mine in my butt. I have many bad veins in my thighs and not a good place for me. Also my side effects are not as bad when I get them in my butt.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for asking this question, helped me understand more
                    Anita

Comment

Jane77

I took Avonex for 13 yrs & gave the injection to myself for much of that time. I used the ventral gluteal muscle. It is on the side of the hip & easy to reach. Had a nurse mark the proper spot & then had the area permanently marked with a tattoo consisting of little dots to mark the area. It hurts less than the thigh. I have less side effects using this area rather than the arm. Not sure why. Maybe it is absorbed faster if you inject the arm.

Anyway, stopped Avonex bec I could no longer inject myself due to a hand tremor & I got to where I hated sticking myself with that needle. I switched to Rebif which has an autoinjector. However, today I learned that the FDA has just approved an autoinjector for Avonex. It is a shorter needle & must be injected in the outer thigh. So I may go back to once a week Avonex.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the responses. Definitely going to look into the new pen.

Comment

switching from rebif to avonex

I was told today the doctor wants me to start on Avonex injections instead of the Rebif I am currently on. He wants to start a trial drug anti-lingo-1 and apparently you have to be on Avonex to be on that trial. I used to be on Avonex for 7 years and always had my husband give it in my butt. Today the doctor gave me 2 of the new shorter needles. I just saw a post saying you are not suppose to inject in butt with shorter needles is this true and why.

Comment

Working...
                          X