No announcement yet.

Have been off all DMD's for 7 months now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went off Beta last July, I had been on it about 8 years.

Used to be I had no side effects with it, and in recent years I started getting more of the flu like symptoms. That added to the fact I was having constant UTIs (and the fine print on Beta side effects says it could cause increase in infectons, plus about that time the study came out that said it did almost nil for disability, those who "partook" for years and those who didn't reached the same stage of disability at relatively the same time.) So I quit...and told my neuro I was.

We investigated some of the others, but ultimately didn't try any others because each would have possibly exacerbated some autonomic issues (BP and heart rate) I have from an MS lesion.

Since I stopped, I've not noticed any difference in physical symptoms, everything stayed about the same, but I'm not as foggy and I think my mood is "lighter." I wouldn't have said I felt depressed on the Beta...but I did feel sort of dull or flat, as far as emotions go.

So now waiting for the "wonder drug" to finally hit the market. As usual we seem to hurry up to wait Makes me wonder if they'll be such a demand for that pill, that they'd have to go to a lottery system, like in the early days of Beta...but I'm sure they know there will be huge demand. The pricing will be interesting

I'd probably be considered SPMS because it's always the same old same old symptoms, just a downward slide with them...but I think neuros like to keep you as RRMS so you do have access to the meds.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
      but I think neuros like to keep you as RRMS so you do have access to the meds.
      That's a rather interesting thought rdmc!

I was diagnosed with MS in 1989 not taking any meds for anything -- my MS was not interfering or controlling my life until 2001.

By 2002 I started taking Rebif and was on that for about 18 months. The side affects were flu/headaches/extremely sore injection sites, etc. dr switched me to Copaxone which I took for about 12 months. The side effects were extremely painful headaches and daily migraines. I was still working full time through all of this. Then I lost my job ("they" said it wasn't because MS was interfering with my ability to do my job - yeah, right!).

I have been off all dmd's for 6-7 yrs now. Dr says I've moved into SPMS because of weakness and my walking is so impaired now. I'm ok with that ...
      Karen

Comment

Me, I'd happily swap more exacerbations for less progression.

Comment

rdmc & KarenKay,

Thanks for your posts. Very interesting that I am not the only one who went off DMD's and is comfortable with it. I find (even after visit with Neuro 2 days ago) I am not excited to get back on a DMD. I will take the medication for my arthritis and hope that it will also help my MS, since it is a metabolite of Aubagio. Heck I am SPMS, so really no DMD will help me now, and I accept that (don't like it, but I accept it).
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
          X